The City of Woodstock, GA is seeking a Fire Inspector. This full-time position will performs a variety of administrative and technical work related to fire inspection, prevention, and fire safety education.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects existing structures, new construction, and remodeled sites for compliance with fire codes; resolves compliance problems with owners within scope of knowledge and authority.
- Participates in the inspection of hydrants, sprinkling systems, and elements of a fire prevention or prevention system.
- Conducts courtesy home and fire safety inspections.
- Reviews and approves construction plans for code compliance.
- Assists in the investigation of fire incidents; conducts interviews; takes photos; and testifies as needed.
- Responds to complaints regarding fire code violations.
- Issues warnings and citations for fire code violations.
- Maintains a variety of data and records regarding fire inspection or prevention activities; prepares reports regarding fire inspections or prevention as required.
- Provides public education in fire prevention, including giving talks, demonstrations, and presentations before the fire service, community groups, schools, and other organizations or institutions as instructed; creates educational publications and posts related information to social media.
- Designs and implements fire safety curriculum/program for all ages.
- Provides instruction regarding child passenger safety seats.
- Provides training on cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), automated external defibrillator (AED), and First Aid.
- Works with local nursing and retirement facilities to teach classes on topics such as fall prevention and safety.
- Analyzes and collects data; compiles reports and statistics; drafts grant proposals; and compiles necessary reports to provide progress report for the grant awarding agency.
- Responds to fire, accidents, and medical emergencies as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School diploma or equivalent; three (3) years of related work experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Requires a valid State of Georgia driver’s license; Must have the following certifications: State of Georgia Certified Fire Inspector I (or obtain within the first year of employment in this position); State of Georgia Certified Fire Safety Educator (or obtain within the first six (6) months employment in this position); both CPR and AED (or obtain within the first six (6) months of employment in this position.
Preferred Qualification: NPQ Public Fire and Life Safety Educator I; NPQ Fire Instructor I Certified in the state of Georgia Arson Investigator ( Through, First Aid Instructor, Child Passenger Safety Seat Technician; and NFPA 101 Life Safety Code. ); State of Georgia Firefighter; State of Georgia EMT; and National Professional Qualifications (NPQ) Fire Fighter II
Must be at least 18 years of age; have no felony convictions for the past seven (7) years; and must currently be certified as a State of Georgia Firefighter.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of policies, procedures, and practices of the Woodstock Fire Department.
- Knowledge of layout of City, target hazards, water supply, and infrastructure.
- Knowledge of apparatus capabilities, limitations, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of emergency vehicle operations and use.
- Knowledge of fire behavior, firefighting strategy and tactics, and hazardous materials operations.
- Knowledge of emergency response procedures and equipment used.
- Knowledge of first aid and resuscitation techniques and their application.
- Knowledge of building construction practices.
- Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
- Skill in responding to changing situations.
- Skill in using computers, job related software, and projectors.
- Skill in working with radios, first aid equipment, evidence gathering equipment and hydrants.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, City personnel, other local government employees, and contractors.
- Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and making decision.
- Ability to compile comprehensive reports and lesson plans.
The City of Woodstock provides a competitive benefits and compensation package to eligible employees including paid time off, health, dental, vision, short term disability and employer-paid long-term disability as well as life insurance; and an employer-paid pension plan and 457 tax deferred savings plan w/employer match.
Starting Base Pay Rate: $22.56 an hour, based on experience and qualifications.
To learn more about City of Woodstock, please visit www.woodstockga.gov.
*Position open until filled.
All interested applicants must submit a completed online application at www.woodstockga.gov/jobs.