Staff Accountant – Finance Department
City Of Cordele, Georgia
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with education, experience and training.
The City of Cordele, a local municipal government serving a population of approximately 12,000 citizens, is actively searching for Staff Accountant candidates. Located 100 miles north of the Florida state line, and served by three exits on Interstate 75, Cordele is the commercial hub of Crisp County and offers excellent growth opportunities for hotels, restaurants, retail, recreational and healthcare facilities.
A skilled accountant position responsible for maintaining accounting records, office records and files both electronically and physically. Compiles financial and budget reports and related data and maintains general office and accounting functions. Supervises customer service, payroll and accounting clerks. Under the direct supervision of the Finance Director.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists the Finance Director in performing all necessary tasks to administer the daily operations of the Finance Department. The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required or assigned. Some examples of these duties are:
- Prepares reports and studies as required by the Finance Director, City Manager, or City Commission.
- Supervises assigned personnel and work assignments of the department.
- Performs daily cash, accounts receivable and general ledger postings.
- Develops and maintains shared network files such as spreadsheets, scanned records and audit records.
- Maintains security management of electronic files including access and permissions.
- Maintains files and records in accordance with record retention guidelines and practices.
- Maintains chart of accounts.
- Assists in maintaining general ledgers and posting of subsidiary ledgers.
- Reviews posting of account classifications.
- Compiles financial reports and data as requested or required.
- Assists in the preparation, and reviews data, for budget execution reviews.
- Maintains and gathers information as required for the annual audit.
- Attends educational courses from time to time on municipal finance and other related topics.
- Maintains accurate and up to date files and records in an easily retrievable manner.
- Types letters, forms, memos and reports.
- Operates computer, calculator, typewriters, radios, telephone and other office machines.
- Work independently on confidential assignments.
- Completes timely performance appraisals on department personnel.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum education of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field or an equivalent combination of extensive education, training and experience.
- Must have experience with accounts payable, billing, general ledger and high-level account reconciliations.
- Must have at least one (1) or more years of supervisory experience.
- Must complete a City of Cordele employment application.
- Must pass background check including previous employment and personal references.
- Must be able to work department hours and occasional overtime.
- Must be able to travel out of town for training, seminars, meetings, etc., with the possibility of overnight stays.
- Must pass job‑related physical examination (see attached sheet for requirements).
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Georgia driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Neat and clean in appearance
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, supervisors and the general public.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a letter of application, resume and three professional references to: City of Cordele, Attn: Human Resources, P.O. Box 569, Cordele GA 31010 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cordele is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex – including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or genetic information, the presence of a non job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other protected status.