GIS Analyst GIS/02
GIS Department Reports To: GIS Manager
Under the leadership of the GIS Manager, this position is responsible for providing support with GIS system implementation and development for the City of Peachtree City Government, including assisting different departments in completing projects and assigned duties, and performing advanced technical and analysis work.
- Publishes GIS data, maps, analysis, reports, charts, and graphs in the form of static map and or online content.
- Provides GIS system administration, GIS database editing, geocoding, geoprocessing, data conversion, workflow management, spatial analysis, and quality control processes in desktop and web-based environments.
- Develops and maintains GIS files and associated spatial and tabular databases, including but not limited to, cadastral, planimetric, streets, addressing, flood zones, natural resources, community boundaries, points of interest, census, topographic, LiDAR, aerial photography, AutoCAD and file conversions, and other spatial features on local and online servers/platforms.
- Supports system & online content sharing by integrating GIS and related data using AGOL, ArcGIS Portal, ArcGIS Server and other related services.
- Researches, creates, and produces spatial layers, analysis, maps, reports, charts, and cartographic displays.
- Assists with research and implementing new GIS spatial files related to local and regional development, zoning, housing, economic, census, infrastructural and other associated trends.
- Assists with the creation of documents and presentations to convey planning recommendations, division/departmental communication initiatives, and GIS-related technical/business documentation.
- Assists with the management of the GIS integrated work order system.
- Provides information and responds to inquiries from staff and the public.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Strong working knowledge of various GIS and GIS-related software including, but not limited to ESRI, ArcMap, ArcPro, AGOL, Google Maps, qGIS, Open Street, GeoMedia, Integraph, Access, MS SQL, Microsoft Office/O365, or equivalent is preferred.
- Knowledge of cartography standards, drafting principles, and computer design and graphics software.
- Technical expertise to work with complex mapping/GIS issues.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other departmental officials, supervisors, and staff.
- Ability to research, collect, organize and analyze data, and to prepare technical reports and recommendations.
- Ability to present ideas and speak effectively to groups.
The GIS Manager assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include industry best practices and City and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied specialized duties. Frequent changes to industry standards contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide specialized support for the City's GIS system. Successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the City’s GIS.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, vendors, contractors, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to exchange information, motivate persons, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
- The work is typically performed in an office and sometimes in the field depending on the project.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education. A baccalaureate degree in Geographic Information System (GIS), geography, cartography, engineering, planning, information systems, or related field preferred.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work and to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with a minimum of two to five years of GIS experience.
- Any of the following certifications are preferred:
- GIS Certified Professional (GISP)
- ESRI Desktop Professional
- ESRI ArcGIS Pro Associate or Professional
- ESRI Enterprise Design Associate or Professional
- ESRI Enterprise Geodata Management Professional
- ESRI Enterprise Administration Professional
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.