City of Roswell, Georgia
Please go to www.roswellgov.com/jobs to apply.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary job functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this position may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in the job description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this job description.
Accounting Specialist I
Pay Grade: 506
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Code: Z320
Pay: $17.33 - $22.52
Monday - Friday
The purpose of this classification is to perform technical accounting and clerical work for assigned accounting functions. Work involves receiving, reviewing and or preparing accounting forms; performing data entry into automated financial information systems and processing accounting documents.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receives, posts and processes financial documents for assigned accounting functions such as City-wide accounts payable functions or a specific Department’s accounts payable and receivable functions; reviews documents; verifies accuracy and calculations; completes with appropriate information such as vendor codes, account numbers, and transaction codes; makes copies of documents as needed; and prepares documents for processing.
- Prepares financial documents and records for assigned accounting programs, ensures accuracy and completeness; and forwards for appropriate review, approval and/or processing.
- Establishes and maintains accounting information in the automated financial information systems; posts information such as deposits, refunds, and payments; performs data entry for accounting transactions; verifies and updates batches; maintains automated files and databases; processes data to produce accounting documents; retrieves data for reports and/or records; and generates automated reports and records.
- Receives and/or generates accounting reports; reviews transactions and statements; reviews and reconciles assigned accounting functions; verifies that account information/balances accurately reflect accounting transactions and data entries; identifies discrepancies; notifies Accounting of journal entries needed to correct discrepancies; assists with budget preparation; and monitors departmental expenditures.
- Establishes and maintains department records and files; and researches information in files upon request.
- Prints checks or other accounting documents; obtains necessary signatures or approvals; and distributes to appropriate parties/departments.
- Runs end of month reports for assigned accounting functions; submits reports to appropriate department and/or management; and maintains copies for department files.
- Assists other departments and/or staff with accounting questions; explains policies and procedures; and researches information upon request; and assists other accounting staff as needed.
- Performs general clerical work in support of assigned duties, including answering telephones, assisting customers, copying and filing documents, and preparing records.
- Operates computers and general office equipment as necessary to complete essential functions, to include the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database or other system software.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Reconciles the Finance department’s Fleet Purchase Card
Education and Experience:
Requires a High school diploma or equivalent; supplemented by one (1) year of accounting or bookkeeping experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Additional certifications may be required based on assignment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of bookkeeping methods and terminology and routine accounting principles and practices; and data entry, recordkeeping and filing techniques.
- Ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
The work is sedentary to light which requires the ability to exert light physical effort, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation. Tasks also require the ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Work is regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The City has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
The City of Roswell, Georgia commits to a policy of equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees, complying with local, state and federal laws. The City’s policy is to employ qualified persons without discrimination regarding race, creed, color, religion, age, sex, country of national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political affiliation, ethnicity, or status in any other group protected by federal/state/local law.