This is the first rank of the Marietta Police force that includes both non-certified and certified officers. Certified officers are expected to demonstrate competency in law enforcement procedures. Works under the general supervision of an assigned sergeant. Performs a wide range of law enforcement functions including making arrests, issuing traffic tickets, crowd control and investigative work to promote public safety and security, crime prevention and general enforcement of the law.
- Patrols assigned area to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbance of peace, and arrest violators as required. Officers will be issued various equipment to include a patrol car with radio, portable radio, various weapons, shoes and uniforms. Additional equipment will be issued for special assignments for bicycle patrol, narcotics units, forensic technician, detectives, K-9, STEP, etc.
- Identifies criminal offenders and criminal activity, and where appropriate apprehends offenders. Holds suspects and calls for back-up as needed. Participates in subsequent court proceedings as required.
- Responds to emergency dispatch including calls from citizens requesting emergency assistance in order to prevent injury, death, and/or damage to property. Calls out medical personnel as needed and provides emergency first aid, when necessary, until emergency personnel arrive.
- Provides assistance and backs up other officers as needed on dangerous calls. Holds suspects until prisoner transport unit arrives or makes transport themselves. Secures crime scene evidence and requests Field Evidence Technicians as needed.
- Enforces state and local laws by arresting violators who commit misdemeanors and felonies. Keeps current with changes in laws impacting law enforcement procedures including attending seminars and formal training as required.
- Appears in city, state, and federal courts as a witness or to defend charges as appropriate. Provides incident reports and related evidence to prosecutors and attorneys as needed.
- Engages in traffic control activities which include responding to traffic accidents; issuing traffic and parking citations; conducting sobriety tests, directing and re-routing traffic around accidents, street hazards and congestion; assisting persons stranded on public roadways; dispatches emergency personnel and tow trucks to clear traffic congestion.
- Completes daily shift activity and incident reports as required. Completes all report records for performance and court proceedings.
- May be assigned apprehension and detection activities which include interviewing victims, witnesses, and other involved parties; collecting evidence; assembling composites, photos, and line-ups for suspect identification; communicating with other agencies to obtain additional evidence; and documenting actions with daily reports.
- May be assigned surveillance, undercover, for observation of unlawful activities.