City of Powder Springs
Job Title: Senior Planner FLSA STATUS:NON-EXEMPT
PAY GRADE 63: SALARY: DOQ
: This position plans, organizes, directs, and manages the day-to-day zoning code implementation and long-term comprehensive plan activities for the Office of Planning and Special Projects. This position serves as the advisor to the Community Development Director on planning, zoning, capital improvement and economic development matters.
- Administers development and land-use regulations.
- Conducts research and field investigations, and makes recommendations and decisions as appropriate; interprets development regulations.
- Reviews all site plans and zoning requests.
- Works closely with citizens, developers, and elected officials during the entire zoning process.
- Implements the Comprehensive Plan through the preparation or revision of development regulations.
- Assists with implementation of the Redevelopment Plan, TADs, corridor studies, solid waste management plan, and transportation planning with Cobb County.
- Makes recommendations regarding planning and zoning matters.
- Develops and makes recommendations for amending the zoning ordinance and regulations, the land use plan and related maps.
- Coordinates thee administration of zoning and annexation; licenses and permits, plan reviews, city/county land use inconsistencies, annual census map updates.
- Assists with implementation of capital improvement plan, including streetscapes, corridors, gateway/directional signage, SPLOST projects and grants.
- Helps prepare work programs and budgets for the department and is responsible for adherence to approved budgets.
- Writes bi-annual newsletter and press releases related to City’s planning efforts and achievements; presents updates and findings to Mayor and City Council as directed; maintains the Office of Planning and Special Projects’ page of City website.
Job Title: Senior Planner (continued)
- Consults with citizens, department heads, and other officials of city, county, state, and federal governments in order to coordinate all phases of community development.
- May attend scheduled meetings of the City Council.
- Represents the City on various boards, commissions, and special task forces related to planning and zoning.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of comprehensive and current planning principles, policies, procedures, techniques, and their implications.
- Knowledge of local and state ordinances and laws and Uniform Development Code (UDC).
- Knowledge of development regulations concerning land use and environmental matters.
- Knowledge of intergovernmental and contractual agreements and provisions.
- Knowledge of economic development forecasts, incentive programs, and business retention and recruitment.
- Knowledge of socio-economic and demographic research techniques.
- Knowledge of supervisory and management principles and practices.
- Knowledge of general office equipment.
- Skill in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to prepare reports, plans, and studies and to accurately interpret ordinances and codes.
- Ability to research public records, interpret and apply information appropriately.
- Ability to handle multiple interruptions, adjustments to priorities throughout the day and meet critical deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, city personnel, developers, and the public.
- Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public.
Supervisory Controls: The Mayor and Council assign work in the form of broad policy statements. The position is under the direct supervision of the Community Development Director..
Guidelines: Guidelines include land use laws, planning principles, state and federal laws, real estate law, City codes and ordinances, UDC, and regional policies. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
Complexity: This position consists of varied analytical, supervisory and technical assistance tasks.
Job Title: Senior Planner (continued)
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to help manage the development of the City. Successful performance helps ensure the orderly development of the city, affects the quality of economic opportunity for City residents, and affects the image of the City.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with the general public, property owners, real estate developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, bankers, landscape architects, elected officials, and city, county, state and federal officials.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
Physical Demands: The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Work involves walking, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed in an office.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: This position may have supervision over professional and clerical office staff as directed by the Director.
Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning or a related field; Master's degree in Urban Planning or Public Administration preferred; AICP preferred; five (5) years of experience in planning, zoning and development review with one (1) year of supervisory experience; equivalent combination of education and experience. GIS experience a plus.
The City of Powder Springs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All applicants must complete a City of Powder Springs employment application. Applications may be down loaded and printed from the website at www.cityofpowdersprings.org or you may receive an application at City Hall located at 4484 Marietta Street, Powder Springs, GA 30127.
Submit completed application to:
City of Powder Springs,
Rosalyn Nealy, Human Resources Director
P. O. BOX 46
Powder Springs, GA 30127
Closing Date: Open Until Filled