Job Title: IT Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: City Manager
This is a highly technical, administrative and managerial position involving a full range of information management resources for the City of Adairsville. The Information Technology Specialists plans, organizes, controls and directs the functions of the Information Systems for the City. This position plans, and implements advanced technology for complex application systems and telecommunications. The position is responsible for the development, maintenance and review of management information systems, as well as management of diverse hardware, software, and equipment facilitates with various technical specialties.
This position works Monday- Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Position requires working evenings and events as necessary.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Oversee all technology operations (e.g. network security) and evaluate them according to established goals
- Work with each department to maintain State or Federal Regulations along with other regulations imposed on the City of Adairsville.
- Devise and establish IT policies and systems to support the implementation of strategies set by upper management
- Analyze the business requirements of all departments to determine their technology needs
- Purchase efficient and cost effective technological equipment and software
- Inspect the use of technological equipment and software to ensure functionality and efficiency
- Identify the need for upgrades, configurations or new systems and report to upper management
- Responsible for all day-to-day computer operations performed within the Authority, including equipment selection, system analysis, programming and operation.
- Installs, maintains and configures serves and workstations Systems which includes all peripherals, operations, scheduling and backup completions.
- Builds, installs, and maintains all personal computers throughout City departments.
Material and Equipment Used
- Must meet training requirements set forth by GA Crime Information Center
- Receives calls from users with system/software problems. Works to correct issues timely.
- Studies current trends and equipment to determine what will best serve City’s needs.
- Administers and maintains the telephone system, including telephone switches and physical lines. Creates new hire phone and voicemail extensions; routes extensions to appropriate locations and updates information.
- Archiving data for various City departments
- Disaster recovery
- Responsible for troubleshooting basic computer hardware and software needs.
- Maintains anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-spam applications and malware.
- Must be able to respond to service needs or maintenance problems during evenings and weekends as necessary
Personal Computers Various Printers Digital Cameras
Scanners Facsimile Machines Photocopiers
Projectors Calculator Network Storage
Fiber Optics Network Hubs Network Routers
Network Switches Cabling Laptop Computers
Network Test Equipment Tape Drives Various Software
In-Car video Cameras
- Knowledge of capacities, characteristics and limitations of technology related software and equipment.
- Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications
- Sound understanding of computer systems (hardware/software), networks etc.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication abilities
- BS/BA in computer science, engineering or relevant field; MS/MA will be a plus
- Ability to organize tasks and meet multiple deadlines.
Work is performed independently under the general supervision of the City Manager.
: Guidelines include City and departmental policies and procedures, City codes and ordinances, policies and procedures.
The work consists of a variety of highly technical and administrative duties.
Scope and Effect:
The purpose of this position is to the work consists of a variety of administrative and technical duties. The purpose of this position is to coordinate and maintain IR Services for the City of Adairsville
Contacts are typically with co-worker as well as local elected officials.
Purpose of Contacts
: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, provide services, and solve problems.
- This position requires you to lift, carry, push, or move moderately heavy objects, 25 to 50 pounds.
- Ascent and descend ladders, stairs, and ramps.
- Operate a computer key board and a variety of equipment and hand tools.
- Hearing ability sufficient to understand conversational tones and respond to telephone ringers. Hearing ability sufficient to recognize changes in sounds made by machinery, equipment or motors.
- Vision ability sufficient to see shapes and outlines of objects both near and at a distance; depth perception and color recognition required. Vision ability to see and interpret typed documents and computer screen at close range.
- While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit at desk and equipment , stand for long periods of time, reach with hands and arms, crawl, crouch, kneel, stoop, and stretch.
The work is typically performed in an office and the field.