FLSA Status: Exempt
General Definition of Work
Performs difficult professional work preparing and maintaining financial records for the Association by collecting, analyzing and summarizing account information, overseeing the accounting cycle of the Association's Interlocal Risk Management Agency Fund and Group Self-Insurance Workers' Compensation Fund, preparing associated files and reports, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Senior Controller.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supports the Association's "Four Pillars": civic engagement, leadership development, legislative advocacy, and membership services through the support of division or program staff, and interaction with local governments and authorities; has knowledge and general understanding of the programs and services offered by the Association.
Provides and exhibits outstanding customer service, teamwork, and organizational commitment that reflects well on the entire Association.
Analyzes, records, reconciles, and reviews:
- sub-ledger activity by the assigned staff.
- insurance programs claims data for all assigned programs;
- cash and investment activity of various Association insurance programs.
- work of Staff Accountant for accuracy and completeness.
Prepares various reports for internal accounting and auditing.
Transfers cash between various assigned funds and monitors reserve accounts.
Ensures timely and accurate posting, balancing and reconciliation of assigned general ledger accounts for assigned programs; researches and reconciles discrepancies.
Prepares, analyzes and reviews statutory financial statements on a quarterly basis, including supporting schedules and reports. Performs financial and profitability analyses for assigned programs as requested.
Has ownership of maintaining financial reports in report writer for internal reporting and external reporting to the Georgia Department of Insurance.
Communicates with third party administrators, banking institutions and claims representatives.
Operates a variety of standard office equipment.
Supports the overall organization by executing the directives as set forth by the Association.
Performs related tasks as required.
May require overnight travel.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree with coursework in accounting, finance, insurance/risk management, or related field; 5 to 8 years accounting experience in an insurance related field, specifically within the state of Georgia; Intermediate experience with business software applications including Microsoft Dynamics and Management Reporter.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of:
- Accounting principles, practices, rules and regulations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles;
- accounting terminology, methods, procedures, and equipment; specifically statutory accounting as it relates to insurance;
- relevant fundamentals of county government in Georgia;
- general knowledge of sections of the Official Code of Georgia, state and federal rules and regulations, specifically those that relate to insurance and group funds.
- principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting;
Demonstrated skill in:
- the use of a variety of office machines and standard office software applications, specifically Microsoft Office products, including Outlook, Word and Excel;
- ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, member organizations and clients, independent auditors, investment managers, banking institution representatives, third party administrators and the general public.
- operate personal computers including some knowledge of applicable software packages;
- understand and follow oral and written directions; establish and follow work procedures;
- understand and apply laws and established policies to the maintenance of financial records;
- perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; prepare complete and accurate reports from various accounting data.
- This work requires the occasional exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands and fingers to handle and/or feel, reaching with hands and arms and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting;
- work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; no special hearing perception is required;
- work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
PLEASE E-MAIL RÉSUMÉ TO: email@example.com
- May be required to sign a confidentiality agreement upon hire.
- Valid driver's license in the State of Georgia.