The City of Thomaston is accepting applications for Accounting Tech/Purchasing. Entry salary is $29,216.91 annually.
Qualified applicants must complete a City of Thomaston Employment Application which can be found on the City website, www.cityofthomaston.com
, or pick up an application at Thomaston City Hall, 106 E. Lee St., Thomaston, GA 30286. Applications may be mailed or hand-delivered to Rebecca Zebe – Human Resources Director, City of Thomaston, 106 E. Lee St., Thomaston, GA. 30286. The City of Thomaston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posting open until filled.
This position performs city procurement operations under the direction of the Finance Director and participates in the department’s accounting and financial functions.
- Performs procurement activities for the city; ensures the appropriate acquisition of goods and services while maintaining the integrity of the purchasing process.
- Provides technical assistance to elected officials, department heads, and administrative staff regarding purchasing processes.
- Interprets applicable laws and ensures compliance with laws and city purchasing policies.
- Reviews all purchase order and requests for payments.
- Reviews all purchasing requisitions, payment requests, and invoices for accuracy and compliance with procurement policies and budgetary constraints.
- Coordinates the formal bid and request for proposal process; prepares and reviews specifications; prepares and publishes advertisements; conducts pre-bid conferences; maintains vendor lists; conducts bid openings; negotiates procurements and conducts project walk-throughs as required.
- Prepares summaries regarding bids and proposals; provides analysis and comparisons and presents data to city leadership.
- Performs related administrative tasks; coordinates meetings, interviews, reports, correspondence, and credit applications.
- Greets customers and answers telephones; assists with billing and related customer service information.
- Initiates new customer accounts.
- Prepares work orders to resolve customer problems and issues; requests re-reads of meters.
- Processes utility payments.
- Processes connections and disconnections of services.
- Processes and collects payments for fees, deposits, permits, sewer tickets, water tickets, and business licenses.
- Processes traffic ticket payments.
- Balances cash drawers.
- Process paperwork and payments for cemetery plots.
- Balances monthly reports for deposits on new service accounts.
- Assists Meter Readers with downloading data.
- Documents code enforcement inspections.
- Processes business license applications.
- Maintains office supply inventory; reorders as needed.
- Performs back-up for other finance department positions as needed and assigned.
- Performs other assigned duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of accounts payable policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget management principles.
- Knowledge of city purchasing policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in preparing reports and communicating information clearly and effectively.
- Skill in managing and prioritizing multiple projects.
- Knowledge of city accounts receivable processes.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices.
- Skill in the provision of customer services.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with having had a similar position for three to five years.
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to write documents such as RFP’s (Request for Proposals) or RFQ’s (Requests for Qualifications).
- Must be detail oriented and able to work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to pass all employment backgrounds and screens.