Under general direction of the Building Official, performs combination inspections of residential, commercial and industrial buildings and structures of all types in the process of construction, alteration, or repair for compliance with the provisions of building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and zoning codes. Assists the public at the permit counter and over the telephone regarding the interpretation of Building Codes and Ordinances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
MINIMUM TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- Inspects building and similar structures that are being constructed, altered, moved or demolished to verify that work being done complies with provisions of building, plumbing, electrical, mechanical and related codes, ordinances and State and Federal construction regulations, and are in accordance with the approved plans and specifications.
- Provides plan check services for compliance with the above codes for minor projects, including but not limited to, residential additions and accessory structures and commercial/industrial tenant improvements.
- Observes conditions and enforces department regulations, City ordinances, building codes, approved plans, specifications, and standards during and after construction.
- Investigates violation complaints of building codes, and recommends compliance procedures to contractors, engineers, architects, owners, and the public.
- Explains code violations to contractors and citizens to ensure corrections are completed in compliance with City ordinances and building codes.
- Issues “Notice of Violation” and/or “Stop Work” orders to persons responsible for code compliances upon obtaining evidence of uncorrected violations; prepares uncorrected violation reports.
- Inspects building sites for proper zoning and setback, and posts building inspection results for permit records.
- If Plan Review is being performed, processes requests for and issues building, improvements, and expansion permits as appropriate to citizens and businesses.
- If Plan Review is being performed, receives and reviews architectural drawings, building plans, soil erosion plans, and related information necessary for code compliance determinations.
- Confers with architects, owners, engineers, contractors and general public on all City and State ordinances and current building code requirements.
- Observes safety practices and advises responsible party at any construction site where safety violations are observed.
- Maintains a variety of files and records related to areas of assignment including permit binders, records of inspections made and actions taken, and plans; inputs and retrieves information into computer databases; prepares reports, correspondence, and a variety of other written materials as requested.
- Performs routine prevention maintenance to the assigned department vehicle.
- Coordinates sanitary systems with Fulton County, life safety codes with City Fire Marshal; coordinates meter approvals with utility companies.
- Prepares monthly construction reports and nuisance report updates for administrative and/or judicial authorities access.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Three years’ experience in construction work, inspections, and code compliances, including attainment of journeyman level experience working in a building trade.
- Possession of International Code Council (ICC) Residential Combination Inspector Certification.
- Minimum of one International Code Council (ICC) Certification is required in at least one of the four disciplines (plumbing, electrical, mechanical or building inspection).
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications + Benefits Package
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) employment application (https://www.alpharetta.ga.us
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to email@example.com
or fax to 678-297-6041. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Kathy Bott, Human Resources Manager, City of Alpharetta, 2 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be accepted until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employer