The Senior Public Relations Specialist (known to the public as a ‘Construction Ambassador’) will work in conjunction with the Community Relations Manager in providing public relations and community relations efforts in support of Public Works programs. The primary client for the Construction Ambassador is the Public Works department, working on targeted projects, identifying challenges and emerging issues, creating messaging for use internally as well as externally, and assisting in the development of external communications including press releases, advertisements, fact sheets, website content etc. The Construction Ambassador will be a primary point of contact for the community on selected projects, providing on site presence as well as conducting proactive in-person outreach as major projects get underway, keeping in communication during construction, and assisting the Public Works team with messaging and outreach related to any problems which may occur during the construction period.
Needed skills for this position include, but are not limited to: PR strategist, strong writer, critical thinker able to anticipate and mitigate issues, creative problem solver, calm under pressure, leadership, unwavering collaboration skills.
Required Professional Skills
- Excellent organizational skills including adhering to best practices in project file management
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- Excellent research, time and program management skills
- Demonstrated competency to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines, set priorities and determine objectives and strategies to achieve them
- Ability to deal with conflict and difficult situations with short deadlines
- Ability to establish rapport quickly with people at all levels to support an event
PR / Community Outreach activities include, but are not limited to:
- Works with Communication and Public Works leadership to identify key Public Works programs in need of targeted public relations support
- Develops public relations and community outreach plans to support messaging, publicity and community outreach needs for identified projects
- Executes public relations and community relations plans including developing and writing press releases, fact sheets, advertisements, web copy etc.
- Works with Communication Director on strategy and messaging related to media outreach (note: this position will not have media relations duties)
- Provides assistance as needed on supplemental projects including city emergency operations activations, city-wide topic public information meetings, and city events
- Participates in Public Works meetings as needed to obtain information concerning key projects and to share and gain input on PR strategies developed.
- Meets with landowner(s), landowner groups (i.e. homeowner and condo associations, etc) and residents to introduce and update status of construction projects with some of these interactions taking place in the evening, after traditional business hours
- Serves as an onsite communications representative for construction projects, communicating with stakeholders
- Handles stakeholder comments, concerns and complaints, assisting individuals who have questions related to construction projects, schedules and associated impacts to properties
- Ensures that the City’s website is up-to-date related to all Public Works activities.
- Updates the City’s construction impact map with lane and road closure information
- Prepares weekly updates and progress reports as needed
- Maintains organized project files and records, including, but not limited to, all pertinent documents, correspondence, contact records, and project tracking reports, accurately, completely and in compliance with records management requirements
- Assists in planning public input meetings, including on site participation, with these meetings taking place in the evenings, after traditional business hours
- Ensures a high level of customer service to internal and external customers
- Helps maintain a favorable public image for the City
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field
- Minimum of three years of experience communications or public relations
- Exceptional communication skills, including strategy, writing and verbal abilities
- Ability to establish rapport quickly with people at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and effectively work with others as a team
- Must be able to handle adverse discussions and be adept at conflict resolution performing in a professional manner
- Demonstrated competency to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines, to organize work, set priorities and determine objectives and strategies to achieve them
- Excellent research, time and project management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Technical proficiency in learning quickly new web-based programs (with training)
- Experience working with the public and municipal officials a plus
- Knowledge or experience with standard construction concepts and practices a plus (but not a requirement)
- Ability to work outside, subject to all kinds of weather and temperature conditions
- Availability and willingness to work flexible schedule, including daily, weekend and holidays, as determined by management as necessary to meet the business needs
- Valid Georgia motor vehicle operator’s license required
The position is a full time.
Salary and Benefits
The Collaborative offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Collaborative does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. The firm will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
. No phone calls please.