The City of LaGrange Public Services Department is looking for a Director of Public Services to perform highly responsible professional engineering and administrative work. This position would include: directing the activities of the Water Pollution Control, Sanitation, Streets and Drains, Sewage Collection, Landscape and Cemeteries Divisions; supervises the preparation of related engineering, planning, forecasting, and budgeting studies of these divisions. This employee is responsible for providing administrative and technical direction to, and exercising general supervision over the design, construction, proper operation, and maintenance of City streets, sidewalk, drainage systems, sanitary sewers, refuse collection and disposal systems, parking lots, traffic control devices, cemeteries and wastewater treatment facilities. Employee is also responsible supervising the preparation of a variety of engineering studies, designs, specifications, plans, and contracts related to public works planning and construction.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field; considerable experience in civil engineering or construction including at least five years minimum of public works employment and two years supervisory experience, a valid driver’s license, and be in good physical condition.
- Prepares cost estimates, forecasts, plans, schedules, legal notices, and provides other information pertinent to the development and planning of activities of the Public Services Department.
- Plans and supervises engineering studies, field surveys, and up-dating of maps, plats, photos, and other drawings for use in designing and constructing public works projects.
- Makes inspections, diagrams, studies, and recommendations to better control movement and parking of vehicular traffic; plans and directs installations of traffic signs, markings and other control devices.
- Investigates and advises or takes proper corrective measures on major and controversial complaints regarding work of the public works division.
- Prepares departmental budget for review of City Manager; exercises budget control over divisions under his/her supervision; prescribes rules, regulations, and administrative policies for divisions within the framework of general policies approved by the May and Council.
- Inspects, tests, and regulates construction methods, techniques, and materials to ensure compliance to plans and specifications.
- Oversees construction projects, sanitary landfill and water pollution control plants to assure compliance with City ordinances, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
- Consults with division superintendents on development of training programs and safety rules and regulations.
- Consults with, and furnishes information and recommendations to, industrial and commercial firms interested in locating in area; consults with, advises, and reviews plans for subdivisions, and other land developments; inspects land development installation for compliance with regulations; gives final approval of subdivisions and other land developments.
- Assists in preparation and presentation of technical information such as estimates, descriptions, and documents needed to develop ordinances, rules, and regulations for street improvements and controls for public works construction and other public services. Performs related work as required.
- Thorough knowledge of State laws and City codes and ordinances relating to areas of responsibility.
- Extensive knowledge of the methods and practices involved in the design, operation, construction, and maintenance of water pollution control, sanitation, streets and drains, sewage collection, parks and cemeteries facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of construction inspection methods and techniques, materials quality, and optimum times for inspection in order to ascertain defects in materials and construction.
- Thorough knowledge of hazards of construction operations and ability to develop training in safety precautions for employees.
- Knowledge of principles of sound business administration, contract administration, technical document and specification writing.
- Ability to plan and supervise the activities of several divisions performing diversified functions.
- Ability to determine long-range needs for public works construction and to organize work for efficient accomplishment of such objectives.
- Ability to prepare specifications and engineering designs for diversified public works and other construction and maintenance projects.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officials of other departments and governmental units, employees, and the general public.
- Ability to speak effectively to various groups in the community.
- Ability to give clear and concise instructions both orally and in writing.