Under administrative direction of the Senior Engineer, conducts inspection and maintenance of City owned separate storm sewer system; manages small stormwater construction maintenance projects; and maintains City compliance with state and federal environmental regulations. Reviews plans; conducts site inspections; designs small-scale public improvements; evaluates roadway and sidewalk conditions and prioritizes maintenance; produces/maintains maps and related files; acts as a technical resource; ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures; and responds to questions and inquiries from the general public, developers, contractors, engineering professionals, and City staff regarding engineering and development projects.
Overview of Duties, Responsibilities and Position Requirements
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- Completes inspections of municipal separate stormwater system per NPDES permit requirements (including but not limited to storm structures, storm ponds, BMPs, industrial facilities, highly visible pollutant sources, municipal facilities, illicit discharges and illegal connections, etc.).
- Coordinates with Public Works Supervisors on staff performed maintenance of City owned separate stormwater system, roadways, and sidewalks.
- Develops engineering solutions to repair/improvement projects.
- Reviews and coordinates stormwater designs with the Public Works Design Group for compliance with City standards, procedures, and applicable codes/ordinances.
- Participates in preparing designs and specifications for assigned projects; develops engineering drawings, construction plans, specifications, contract documents, bid documents, calculations, and cost estimates for proposed projects; researches project design requirements; prepares estimates of time and material costs.
- Participates in performing plan check, review, and processing of plans and specifications for projects affecting City stormwater drainage system; interprets the application of design criteria; ensures compliance with professional and City standards and practices; coordinates reviews with other departments and agencies.
- Reviews bid specifications for engineering projects.
- Performs complex design and construction calculations for stormwater, street systems, asphalt thickness and base requirements, concrete quantities, elevation and slope requirements.
- Calculates construction quantities and assists in the preparation of cost estimates of City stormwater construction projects as necessary.
- Uses computer software including spreadsheets, databases, GIS, permitting, inspection, AutoCAD, and work order management to track maintenance and repair projects.
- Uses tablet, smart phone, GPS, and other field application computer hardware.
- Develops, maintains and improves database for drainage and flood complaints and projects; develops plans and priorities to resolving drainage and flood complaints.
- Develops new standards, forms, or procedures of accountability relating to inspections, plan review, utility permitting, or other activities.
- Prepares a variety of engineering reports, studies and technical documentation; utilizes specialized engineering applications, databases, programs and graphics.
- Performs training for other employees on stormwater topics.
- Assists in the administration of the City’s Stormwater Management Program as outlined in the City’s NPDES Permit.
- Participates in the erosion control program for the City including conducting site inspections of projects for compliance with site plans, and issuing stop work orders and levying violation fines as necessary.
- Inspects facilities to be dedicated to the City for perpetual maintenance; coordinates inspections with other departments; communicates inspection results with developers, contractors, utility companies, residents, and other interested parties.
- Assists in interpreting and enforcing the provisions of applicable federal, state, and local codes, laws, rules, regulations, specifications, standards, policies and procedures; initiates any actions necessary to correct deficiencies, variations, or violations.
- Provides engineering assistance to other City departments, local contractors, and the general public; provides information regarding City laws, codes, and ordinances, which effect City planning/development.
- Works with the Atlanta Regional Commission, Georgia Soil & Water Conservation Commission, Georgia Environmental Protection Division, and other governmental agencies to review and develop stormwater management plans and policies.
- Provides information and assistance to contractors, developers, engineers, and the general public on construction services and activities; responds to general inquiries; ensures issues are resolved in a timely and efficient manner.
- Effectively communicates and interacts with supervisors, citizens, contractors, developers and all groups involved in the activities of the department as needed to coordinate work activities; assembles information and makes written reports and documents in a concise, clear, effective, and technically accurate manner.
- Participates in administering and enforcing City codes and standards on engineering projects; addresses and responds to citizen concerns related to engineering problems.
- Responds to questions and inquiries from the general public, developers, contractors, engineering professionals and City staff regarding public work projects.
- Coordinates assigned activities with consultants, engineers, developers, contractors, other City departments and divisions, and outside agencies.
- Stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of civil engineering.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil engineering or a related field.
- Minimum two years of increasingly responsible professional civil engineering experience.
- Minimum possession of a valid Georgia Certificate of Registration as an Engineer Intern (EI).
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications - Benefits Package
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) employment application (www.alpharetta.ga.us)
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
or fax to 678-297-6041. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Kathy Bott, Human Resources Manager, City of Alpharetta, 2 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be received until the position is filled.