Under general direction of a Police Lieutenant, patrols the City to identify vehicles, which are in violation of City and State parking ordinances and laws, and taking appropriate enforcement actions. Performs a variety of clerical duties required to document and process enforcement actions. Assists motorists and visitors as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines and creates enforcement route, ensuring entire assigned area is patrolled; patrols city areas by vehicle or on foot; responds to calls for service; issues parking and administrative citations for observed equipment, registration, vehicle, municipal, and zoning violations.
- Operates City assigned vehicle; maintains assigned equipment and supplies such as handheld citation computers, citation books, rain gear, tire-marking chalk, and street cones.
- Prepares and maintains required records, including logs of parking enforcement activities, and records of contested citations; enters parking citations information into the City’s automated system.
- Interacts intensively with the public on an ongoing basis; receives, listens to and skillfully handles parking enforcement issues and complaints. Educates the public regarding parking regulations and citations; answers questions from public regarding City geography and other general matters; as necessary, researches and responds to customer complaints, questions and concerns or refers complaints and requests to supervisor or other departments as warranted.
- Identifies vehicles in violation of parking codes, checking with dispatchers when necessary to confirm identities or to determine whether vehicles need to be booted or towed.
- Marks tires of parked vehicles with chalk and records time of marking, and returns at regular intervals to ensure that parking time limits are not exceeded.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public reflective of the City’s values and strategic plan.
- Observes and reports hazardous conditions such as missing traffic signals or signs and street markings that need to be repainted.
- Utilizes the hand held ticket writers to take photos as part of the process. This includes photos of vehicle’s plates, entire windshield, ticket placed on the vehicle and any signage needed to support your ticket issuance action.
- Provides assistance to motorists needing help with problems, such as flat tires, keys locked in cars, or dead batteries.
- Prepares for, appears and testifies in court and at depositions regarding parking violation cases as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- City and state parking ordinances, laws and regulations pertaining to the city limits.
- Department rules and regulations.
- Safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work including driving habits.
- Process of serving parking citations.
- The layout and geography of the City.
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Public safety radio broadcast and monitoring equipment.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Any combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job qualifies.
- Learn, interpret, apply, explain and enforce laws, codes and ordinances related to parking enforcement.
- Learn police procedures, radio use and codes, and law enforcement telecommunication databases and application.
- Maintain records and prepare written reports; establish and maintain record systems; gather and analyze data.
- Use a boot-wheel locking device.
- Learn the geography and streets of the City of Alpharetta.
- Exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
- Work independently and effectively in the enforcement of vehicle laws.
- Act effectively in emergency situations; maintain composure during stressful situations; observe and report hazardous conditions.
- Walk for long periods in all weather conditions.
- Withstand verbal abuse from the public and to be courteous and tactful to violators.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
- High school diploma or GED equivalency.
- One year experience in a position with significant public contact.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must successfully complete a Parking Enforcement training program conducted by the department.
- Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Salary: $13.65/hr. -- $15.96/hr.
Please submit: (1) a cover letter of interest, (2) resume, and (3) the employment application (www.alpharetta.ga.us
). All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to jsimpson @alpharetta.ga.us. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Lieutenant James Simpson, Public Safety Department, 2565 Old Milton Parkway, Alpharetta, GA 30009. Completed application packages will be received until the position is filled.