This position is an inexperienced, non‑certified, police officer trainee. This is general
law enforcement work, responsible for protecting life and property and enforcing laws and ordinances. Work involves routine patrol work and responding to emergency calls, citizen complaints, and alarms. Duties include preliminary investigations, special detail assignments, administrative duties and other special assignments as assigned by superiors.
- Patrols the City to provide a visible deterrent in uniform and in marked cars and to enforce laws and ordinances and protect life and property; monitors commercial and residential areas for signs of criminal activity, patrols for suspicious persons or vehicles.
- Enforces traffic and parking laws through the issuance of citations and warnings; routinely inspects roadways, bridges, and traffic signals and signs to find and report any hazardous conditions.
- Performs business and residential security checks; checks building doors, windows, gates, and fences to ensure building/home is secured.
- Reports buildings, homes, vehicles, or equipment that is not secured; ensures the safety and well‑being of all residents/employees on duty; learns employees work patterns and alerts them to possible suspects and crime prevention.
- Responds to calls for assistance, disturbance calls, and complaints of crimes; enforces Federal, State, and local laws by performing warrant, felony, or misdemeanor arrests; implements physical confrontation when necessary; protects the civil rights of persons in custody.
- Investigates traffic accidents by establishing point of impact, interviewing witnesses, and collecting, preserving, and packaging evidence; detects drunk drivers and performs sobriety evaluations; books DUI suspects.
- Secures and protects crime scene by establishing boundaries, detaining victims, suspects, and witnesses, locating and identifying evidence, and briefing supervisors and investigators on their arrival.
- Serves as first‑responder to provide aid and assistance to victims of traffic and other accidents, assists fire and emergency medical services in treating and transporting victims.
- Prepares and maintains a wide variety of departmental records and reports in compliance with departmental and legal policies and procedures; prepares and files thorough written case reports.
- Gives advice on laws, ordinances, and general information to the public; renders advice on domestic disturbances, assists citizens in need.
- Maintains assigned uniform, vehicle, and equipment in accordance with departmental policy and procedures.
- Presents evidence and testimony in courts of law; assists in prosecuting felony and misdemeanor cases.
- Assists stranded motorists, directs traffic when necessary; escorts special processions; transports prisoners to jail.
- Participates in departmental training programs.
- Participates in community relation’s projects as required.
- Serves and executes criminal and traffic warrants on felony and misdemeanor suspects.
- Serves as Municipal Court Bailiff when assigned.
- Performs related work as required.
High School Diploma or recognized equivalent. Be eligible to possess Basic Peace Officer Certification through the State of Georgia (within 1 year of employment). Must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States. No conviction of a felony, misdemeanor conviction (other than minor traffic violations) within the past five (5) years or any conviction of more than three (3) moving violations in the past three (3) years. Possess good moral character. Valid State of Georgia driver’s license (noncommercial Class C). Satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
Salary Range: $33,952-$56,181
Please submit: (1) employment application (found on website www.fayetteville-ga.gov
), (2) resume, and (3) letter of interest.
All documents may be submitted electronically by e-mail to hradmin@fayetteville-ga-.gov
or fax to 770-460-4238. If you are mailing your submission, send all documents to Nella Cooper, Human Resources Manager, City of Fayetteville, 240 Glynn Street, South, Fayetteville, GA 30214. Completed application packages will be received until position is filled.