: This position is responsible electric utility operation and maintenance involving routine groundwork and crew support tasks.
Knowledge Required by the Position
- Handles electric utility line materials and provides ground support to apprentice lineman and lineman on electrical construction and maintenance projects;
- Gathers parts, materials and tools for stocking line truck; cleans equipment as needed;
- Digs ditches and uses hand tools in performing construction work;
- Sets poles and places hardware in place for electrical poles and street lights;
- Provides requested parts and tools to lineman in bucket truck;
- Operates a variety of automotive equipment including line, bucket and pick-up truck;
- Operates back hoe, trencher and other equipment used in digging ditches and holes;
- Assists in pulling wires and installing transformers;
- Assists in splicing wires for underground electrical service;
- Assists with trimming trees as necessary;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the operation of electrical construction and maintenance equipment and vehicles;
- Knowledge of safety precautions for working with energized electrical lines;
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of electrical theory as it relates to the electrical industry and work of a Line Laborer;
- Skill in the operation, maintenance, and routine repair of hydraulic equipment used in electrical construction and maintenance;
- Skill in setting poles;
- Skill in the methods, materials and tools used in overhead and underground utility construction and maintenance;
- Ability to perform work on electric utility facilities in a safe, efficient manner;
- Ability to perform general equipment, tool and vehicle maintenance duties;
- Ability to lift heavy articles and perform physical labor;
- Ability to understand complex oral instructions;
- Ability to operate hand and power tools;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public;
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
: The Power Superintendent assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The work is spot-checked in progress and reviewed upon completion for accurate compliance with instructions and procedures.
: Guidelines include Federal, State, and local electrical codes and safety regulations. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
: The work consists of related duties in operating various machinery and equipment including a line truck.
Scope and Effect
: The purpose of this position is to provide support in the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of electrical lines and equipment. Successful performance helps ensure the safe, efficient and effective provision of electrical services.
: Contacts are typically with co-workers and electrical service customers.
Purpose of Contacts:
Contacts are typically to exchange information and provide services.
: The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, and stooping. The employee occasionally lifts heavy objects, climbs ladders and uses tools and equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. The employee must be able to distinguish between shades of color. The employee must be able to handle driving large equipment vehicles.
: The work is performed outdoors, where the employee may be exposed to machinery with moving parts, high voltage, and occasional inclement weather. This work requires the use of protective devices such as gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
High School diploma or equivalent; one (1) year of laborer, construction, or electrical experience preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience
Submit completed application to:
Palmetto City Hall
Attn: Cindy Hanson, City Clerk
P.O. Box 190, Palmetto, GA 30268
Contact Number: 770-463-3377
Salary: Based on experience
End Date for Applications: Until position is filled