Employment Opportunities >> Public Information & Public Relations
Communications and Public Relations Manager
City of Tifton
Posted: Apr. 4, 2018
End Date: Apr. 18, 2018
Communications and Public Relations Manager
This employee performs a variety of professional, technical, and administrative duties in the planning, organizing, directing, coordinating and maintenance of long-range, strategic, and city-wide programs providing consistent public information, public relations, marketing, customer service and promotion of the City.
· Writes, edits, and coordinates production for city publications, including annual reports, brochures, direct mail pieces, newsletter, Public Service Announcements, fact sheets, news releases, feature articles, and other information pieces to media representatives, the public and other interested persons.
· Serves as primary contact in providing information to the public seeking to build proactive, clear, and consistent two-way communication between city government and residents, businesses, organizations and other stakeholders.
· Conducts various publicity activities, such as exhibits, and tours to promote goodwill and a positive image for the City; determines timeliness and appropriateness of information to be released; coordinates media interviews for city officials and staff; approves all press releases and media contacts from city departments; writes and distributes press releases to the media; maintains positive working relations with members of the media.
· Maintains and updates information on the city’s website; serves as the primary contact to web management vendor. Manages the city’s presence on social media channels such as Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter; develops appropriate polices and guidelines; creates official social media accounts.
· Assists and advises departments and council with general communications needs, brochures, posters, photos, presentations, press conference, special events and other related needs.
· Attends City Council and other meetings as necessary to stay informed on city activities and projects;
· Manages responsibilities for community outreach activities beyond regular city business hours including extended workdays, evenings, weekends and holidays.
· Provides basic administrative assistance to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, City Clerk and Human Resources.
· Performs the duties of the City Clerk in his or her absence.
· Schedules training and makes travel arrangements for elected officials and executive staff.
· Serves on various committees as assigned.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
· Knowledge of principles and practices of marketing, public relations, crisis communications, and public information including principle methods and techniques for promoting government and community relations.
· Knowledge of communication outlets and dissemination techniques and method. Including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, visual media and social media.
· Design and publication layout skills with ability to prepare clear visual displays and/or communications.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental personnel, city personal, the public, media and officials.
· Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs such as Microsoft Office, web design, desktop publishing etc.
· Strong public speaking and organizational skills.
· Proficient skills in written and verbal communications.
· Ability to multi-task. This job is working for multiple entities with many crossover needs, but individual requests as well.
The City Manager assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include policies and procedures, personnel policies and guidelines related to municipal governments, and best practices. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
· The work consist of varied public information and web management duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the work.
· The purpose of this position is to manage the implementation of the city’s communication efforts. Successful performance contributes to the promotion of the city’s brand image, events, programs and initiatives.
· Contacts are typically with coworkers, other city employees, elected and appointed officials, representatives of other municipal governments, vendors, representatives of community organizations, business leaders, representatives of the news media, and the general public.
· Contacts are typically to exchange information, negotiate matters, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
· The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
· The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
As directed by the City Manager
· Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Human Resources, or closely related field from an accredited college or university; supplemented by two (2) to four (4) years of responsible experience in communications, public relations, marketing, and/or community/media relations; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this job.
· Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
· Must be highly organized and accustom to multi-tasking at various levels.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Salary depends on qualifications.