||Public Information Officer
|Annual Minimum Salary:
||City Hall Annex
||OPEN UNTIL FILLED
The City of Valdosta Executive Office is accepting applications for the position of full time Public Information Officer. This position is responsible for managing, planning, organizing and directing the city's information and communications programs. To ensure a positive public image of the city and the timely provision of information to citizens. Gathers information, writes and edits newsletters, press releases, brochures and fliers, fact sheets, advertisements, speeches and news articles. Organizes and coordinates special events, including press conferences, ribbon cutting ceremonies, awards ceremonies, and public education events. Serves as a liaison between the city and the news media; answers inquiries; coordinates or participates in interviews, and serves as a spokesperson for the city when necessary. Oversees the city's Government Access Channel operations and staff. Coordinates the city's official social media and mobile application(s) functions. Maintains favorable internal and external relations by answering telephone calls and email inquiries; provides information and assistance. Maintains the city website; makes daily and weekly updates; maintains calendars and departmental pages; trains department content managers. Plans and implements crisis communication strategies. Photographs and videotapes special events, awards ceremonies, and meetings. Develops and administers annual budgets. Maintains working relationships with other professionals in the field; attends local and statewide meetings.
- Knowledge of public relations principles and practices, journalism principles and practices, modern office principles, budget management principles, computers and job-related software programs, website management principles, social media principles, crisis communication strategies, relevant federal and state laws, city ordinances, and department policies and procedures
- Knowledge and experience in television/film production to thoroughly understand the work of Channel 17 and to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, and provide support as needed
- Skills in preparing clear and precise reports, problem solving, prioritizing and planning, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism or related field from an accredited college or university, and a minimum of three years experience in the field.
- Must satisfactorily complete a background check, drug test and pre-employment physical
All online applications must
be processed through www.valdostacity.com
. To be fully considered, applicants must submit a completed City of Valdosta Application Form to Berna Hepburn
, or apply at the City of Valdosta Human Resources Department, 216 East Central Avenue, Valdosta, GA 31601. EOE.