JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for performing regional planning duties for the Central Savannah River Area Regional Commission. An incumbent in this position may also be designated as a Senior Planner.
- Provides professional and technical assistance to local governments in the area of regional planning; researches, develops, updates, and writes comprehensive plans.
- Meets with various committees and councils to provide assistance with or prepare zoning ordinance updates and revisions.
- Assists with the implementation of comprehensive plans.
- Assists with current land use and transportation planning projects.
- Serves on various committees and councils to facilitate the implementation of comprehensive plans.
- Researches and collects data or generates data and other information related to comprehensive planning.
- Prepares presentation material in written, photographic, or other formats.
- Presents research material to local government officials and their staffs.
- Notifies local governments about state mandated planning; provides assistance to local governments on state compliance issues.
- Provides information to answer public, governmental, media, or private sector inquiries about comprehensive planning.
- Researches, develops, and presents reports to local governments.
- Assists local planners with comprehensive planning projects as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of planning and zoning principles, theories, strategies, and techniques.
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of CSRA RC plans and policies.
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles and practices.
- Knowledge of GIS applications and principles.
- Skill in statistical analysis.
- Skill in operating a personal computer and various software programs.
- Skill in organizing work.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Ability to independently convene and facilitate interactive public meetings.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Planning Director assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the Georgia Planning Act of 1989, the Department of Community Affairs Planning Guidelines and Requirements, other applicable state and federal laws, and directives from the CSRA RC. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied duties in regional planning and zoning activities. The variety of duties to be performed and time constraints contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to perform comprehensive planning, regional planning, and zoning activities. Successful performance in this position helps ensure the availability of funds for local government projects and contributes to economic growth and development in the region.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with other CSRA RC personnel, elected local government officials, state agency representatives, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, provide services, and resolve problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master’s degree in planning
- Sufficient experience to understand the principles relevant to the major duties of the position, or having had a similar position for one to two years
- Ability to obtain AICP certification within two (2) years of employment
- Master’s degree in planning and 2 years of experience
- AICP certification
- Knowledge of historic preservation concepts and common practices
- Knowledge in 3D modeling software
Please send a resume and portfolio of work to:
Central Savannah River Area Regional Commission
c/o Karla Trosper, Human Resources Department
3626 Walton Way Extension Suite 300
Augusta, GA 30909