Director, Economic Development
$59,699.29 - $90,839.08
This position reports directly to the City Manager and requires a variety of administrative, technical, and professional skills in preparation and implementation of economic development plans, programs, and services. The incumbent develops and implements area-specific and city-wide strategic economic plans to revitalize distressed commercial corridors, improve business development, and promote business retention and expansion. The incumbent addresses barriers to economic growth and job creation/retention, and increases local and international economic opportunities for the City of Riverdale. The incumbent is responsible for working closely with other departments and business owners in promoting business and economic development interests within the City of Riverdale. This position will assist in the planning and coordinating of economic development projects, assist new businesses with local and state permitting processes, and provide necessary research for City-sponsored projects.
Four (4) year Degree in city/urban planning or closely related field from an accredited college or university AND
(3) three years of experience in economic development, business, and commercial area revitalization
Master’s Degree in Economics, Finance, Business Administration, Planning, or Public Administration
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Directs and coordinates all economic development recruitment and retention initiatives of commercial and retail activities within the City.
- Serves as the City’s business liaison and a resource for building and maintaining effective relationships with the business community, developers, property owners, realtors, advisory groups, community organizations, and citizens.
- Reviews and interprets local, state, and federal regulations, ensuring the City is compliant with legal and programmatic requirements.
- Provides assistance in the development of short and long term economic developmental plans.
- Researches and gathers information in preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve goals.
- Prepares and maintains information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools, and incentives in response to requests of information for economic development purposes.
- Provides professional economic development advice, assists in the application and permitting process, and serves as an advocate for economic development in line with the goals as established by the City.
- Coordinates and develops marketing tools, i.e., brochures, profiles, videos, and informational data for use in the recruitment and retention of new and existing businesses
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Ability Required by the Position:
- Extensive knowledge of local economic development procedures, activities, strategies, and organizational structures.
- Knowledge of local, state and federal government grants and development programs.
- Knowledge of municipal zoning and infrastructure, and planning programs processes.
- Knowledge of contracts, proposals and applications, and other documents required for necessary business and community development and services.
- Ability to identify and promote economic development projects and initiatives.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with private, non-profit, and public sector officials.
- Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive financial, administrative and activity reports.
- Ability to analyze and track critical performance data.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups, engineers, architects, contractors, developers, and business owners.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances (Customer Service).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
- Ability to work accurately with detailed records and complex information.
- Ability to work independently.
Skills Required by the Position:
- Advanced Skills in computers required.
- Skilled in the use of spreadsheets, databases and mapping.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office Suites.
- Direct reports to the City Manager, Riverdale, Georgia.
- The work is typically performed with the employee sedentary, indoors and/or outdoors.
- The work is typically performed in an office and/or outside.