This person in this position plans, directs and supervises department activities, functions and personnel including preparing operations budget, developing department-wide goals, objectives, policies and procedures, and fostering staff development and training.
- Directs the development of land use proposals and makes recommendations concerning rezoning, annexation, future land use, special use permits and site plan approval requests.
- Supervises the receipt and review of applications for rezoning, special land use permits, variances, zoning appeals, development plans, preliminary and final and revised subdivision plats, annexations, future land use plan amendments, and proposed development agreements.
- Supervises the receipt and review of hydrology plans, sign plans, parking plans, civil design and construction plans, site plans, landscaping plans, erosion and sedimentation and pollution control plans, grading plans, floodplain management/flood damage prevention plans, tree conservation plans and all other plans required or allowed by the zoning and development ordinances.
- Supervises Departmental handling of application materials.
- Issues accurate and complete zoning verifications in accordance with established standard operating procedure.
- Facilitates the Zoning Board and the Planning and Development Committee, supervises preparation of their agendas and minutes, and assures their compliance with the Open Meetings Act.
- Supervises administration of legal advertisements and notice postings for zoning matters.
- Prepares and submits proposed agenda items related to short-range planning, zoning and development for the meetings of the Mayor and City Council, using established forms.
- Receives, reviews and submits petitions for annexation promptly to the Chief Assistant City Attorney for legal review, rejects defective applications, maintains records of annexation petitions.
- Reviews and ensures all land use projects within the City are in conformance with City ordinances on zoning and development, and keeps current on pending legislation and regulatory rule changes.
- Research and benchmark and make recommendations for updates to City ordinances on land use. Coordinates projects with local, state and federal agencies, as well as other municipal agencies, the development community, special interest groups, and other parties. Supports economic development efforts and demonstrates harmony between building development services and economic development through coordination and cooperation, provides community outreach resources to promote understanding of City land development regulations and City ordinances.
- Acts as a technical advisor to other departments and represents the City on planning-related boards.
- Develops short-range plans, and oversees implementation of plans to ensure adherence to state and local laws, organizational standards, and makes adjustments as needed.
- Oversees administrative matters such as conducting special studies, reviewing or preparing City Council agenda items, Zoning Board, preparing routine or special reports.
- Reviews all existing department processes and makes enhancement or new processes as appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with related laws and guidelines, and affords related training for personnel. Works with legal counsel to address complex matters and legally sensitive matters.
- Supervises division staff, including selecting or recommending selection, establishing staffing standards, organizing training, assigning and evaluating work, coaching and counseling, and preparing periodic employee performance evaluations.
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of various reports, presentations, recommendations and other documents as required by city, state, federal and/or other agency, including city management and the zoning board.
- Conducts staff, committee and other meetings and conferences.
- Prepares and makes oral and written presentations to exchange information, including presentation to the City Council and Zoning Board.
- Attends evening meetings and occasional weekend events.
- Attends training, seminars and conferences, and conducts research to stay abreast of legislation and trends. Coordinates with Code Compliance Officers and licenses and permits coordinators on City zoning administration issues.
- Completes all development plan reviews.
- Serves as staff member for the Zoning Board; attends meetings and public hearings; coordinates preparation of staff reports on proposed actions; submits meeting minutes; coordinates notice and posting requirements.
- Processes applications for zoning proposals; reviews plats and plans against zoning stipulations on conditions applicable to sites; conducts site visits.
- Maintains annual statistics on land use, housing and new development.
- Coordinates zoning verification and certification; reviews zoning files to determine proposed stipulations. Interprets ordinances related to zoning and development.
- Corrects, updates and maintains maps and other cartographic data utilizing the GIS capabilities. Prepares graphic displays, maps and photographs for citizens and City departments. Assists with the City comprehensive plan updates as assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree in Planning, Public Administration, Economic Development or related field preferred; Seven (7) or more years of progressively responsible professional experience in Planning, Economic Development or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience, including five (5) or more years of supervisory or management experience.
Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
R68 - $51,549
Applications and resumes are being accepted by the Human Resources Department at Douglasville City Hall, 6695 Church Street, Douglasville, GA 30134 or can be completed online by visiting www.douglasvillega.gov/41/Apply-for and selecting “City Jobs.”