Grade: 20 $37,856.00 - $48,963.20
Exempt (not eligible for overtime pay).
Under the general direction of the City Administrator, this position is responsible for branding, promoting, and executing the City of Fairburn’s marketing campaign. The incumbent plans, develops, and coordinates public relations mediums; ensures timely distribution of public information to the public, media, City departments, and other governmental agencies; performs a variety of analytical and administrative duties, including special projects; and, maintains the City’s website.
- Consults with the City Administrator, elected officials, other government officials, and department directors to review public relations’ information/issues to review/resolve problems.
- Develops strategies and processes to promote, enhance and develop the City of Fairburn’s potentials and resources.
- Develops and/or promotes City projects, programs, and facilities.
- Develops, implements, and maintains long-range strategic plans for development of the City’s website.
- Oversees and coordinates media-relations activities for the City.
- Monitors local, state, and national newspapers, television/radio broadcasts, and other sources for information pertinent to City government operations/activities.
- Attends Mayor and City Council meetings; prepares meeting summaries for media, when needed.
- Confers with the City Administrator or City Attorney prior to release of non-confidential information regarding sensitive topics.
- Secures appropriate written permission before releasing proprietary information or using images of property not owned by the City.
- Serves as point-of-contact for providing information to the public regarding City government.
- Prepares various reports, designed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Maintains professional affiliations; attends meetings, conferences and training, as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course of work in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or a related field. A Maters’ degree is preferred.
- Five (5) to (10) years of experience working with State or local government programs that includes progressively responsible, marketing, public information management, public relations, and internet technology.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of municipal government operations.
- Knowledge of cutting-edge Information Technology (IT) systems and processes.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of program development.
- Knowledge of techniques of data collection, research, and report preparation.
- Knowledge of office procedures, methods, and equipment, including computers and applicable software applications.
- Skill in problem-solving, consider reasonable alternatives and, make recommendations.
- Ability to interpret and apply pertinent federal, state, and local codes and regulations, as well as City policies and procedures.
- Ability to research, analyze and evaluate programs, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to set and meet goals and objectives.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and to be flexible in changing work priorities.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of care and discretion in release of information on topics that are controversial, sensitive, or emergency-related.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective interpersonal working relationships with customers and co-workers.
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under the direct supervision of the City Administrator.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed with the employee sedentary. Occasional standing, walking, bending and stooping for extended periods of time may be necessary. The employee may lift, carry, and relocate a variety of office supplies and mail weighing up to 30 pounds.
The work is typically performed in an office setting.
Please go to our webiste to apply for this postion www.fairburn.com
End date for this positon is 04/27/2018