CITY OF MILLEDGEVILLE JOB ANNNOUNCEMENT
Fire Department – Thomas Street and Dunlap Rd Station
Full-Time, 8 Hour Shifts – On Call Duty Required.
Negotiable Dependent Upon Experience
April 16, 2018 to May 18, 2018
This position is responsible for the daily operation of the City of Milledgeville’s Fire Department. Desired qualifications include but are not limited to knowledge of fire suppression and investigation standards, practices, strategies, tactics, equipment, and apparatus. Knowledge of local, state and federal fire codes, local ordinances, and department rules and regulations. Knowledge in the handling of hazardous materials. Skill in management and supervision under both routine and emergency situations. This position reports directly to the City Manager.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Responsibilities include: planning, directing and coordinating all operations of the department.
- Manages the provision of fire prevention and suppression services to the city.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures, policies, and regulations for department personnel and ensures compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Prepares annual department budget and monitors expenditures under the current budget. Oversees
- Develops and implements fire safety programs and building inspection procedures; analyzing and maintaining fire and building inspection records and reports.
- Oversees the selection, hiring, training, evaluation, promotion, and discipline of department personnel
- Coordinates and directs rescue operations and disaster operations; assists other agencies as needed.
- Investigates causes of fires and enforces fire prevention regulations and compliance with fire codes.
- Approves all department training plans and programs
- Knowledge and level of competence commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the National Fire Protection Associating and the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Act.
- Knowledge of National Fire Protection Association guidelines.
- Knowledge of modern firefighting techniques, principles, and practices.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation and maintenance of firefighting apparatus and equipment
- Knowledgeable in the identification and proper handling of hazardous materials.
- Ability to provide first responder emergency medical care
- Skill and proficiency in operating rescue and extrication equipment.
- Knowledge of potential fire hazards
- A minimum of three to five years of work-related training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training.
- Other combinations of training and/or experience which can be demonstrated to result in the possession of the knowledge’s, skills and abilities necessary to perform the duties of this position will also be considered.
(NOTE: The listed duties are illustrative only and are not intended to describe each and every function which may be performed in the job class. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
Mervin G Graham, Fire Chief City of Milledgeville email: