|Planning, Zoning & Economic Development
Interprets and applies applicable municipal, county and state codes, ordinances, regulations, standards, specifications, policies and procedures pertaining to planning, zoning, land development and land use; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations. Provides information and technical assistance to citizens, property owners, land developers, contractors, architects, staff members, or other individuals/agencies regarding planning/zoning issues, codes/ordinances, building permits, plan reviews, procedures, forms, or other issues; responds to routine questions or complaints; researches problems and initiates problem resolutions; meets with customers as requested. Coordinates comprehensive plan updates, ordinance modifications, and other long-range planning projects.
Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning AND
Three (3) years directly-related experience
Master’s degree in Urban Planning from an accredited college or university
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification
- Manages the process of rezoning, conditional-use/special-use permits and variance applications.
- Interprets local, state, and federal regulations and ordinances and determines regulatory limitations on projects.
- Formulates planning policy recommendations.
- Reviews and recommends development proposals for compliance with various development regulations with principles and practices of effective planning and land use; approves subdivision plats for recording.
- Writes, updates, and revises local zoning, development code, and other ordinances.
- Attends meetings, seminars, and training sessions, local and national planning conferences, to remain knowledgeable of planning-related subjects in order to promote planning initiatives.
- Participates in public hearings and public meetings relative to planning applications and/or policy decisions.
- Attends and represents the department at Council meetings, Planning Commission meetings, and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and activities for municipal, county, and urban planning practices.
- Knowledge of zoning laws and comprehensive plans, including formation, process of adoption, and enforcement.
- Knowledge of GIS applications and community development software.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
Ability Required by the Position:
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information.
- Ability to comprehend the terminology, principles, and methods utilized within the department.
- Ability to handle required mathematical calculations, using percentages and decimals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with architects, contractors, developers, owners, supervisors, employees and the general public.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances (Customer Service).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public.
- Ability to work accurately with detailed records and complex information.
- Ability to work independently.
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Director of Economic Development.
- The work is typically performed with the employee sedentary and indoors.
- The work is typically performed in an office setting.