CITY OF RIVERDALE
Equal Opportunity Employer
|Planning, Zoning & Economic Development
Interprets and applies applicable municipal, county and state codes, ordinances, regulations, standards, specifications, policies and procedures pertaining to planning, zoning, land development and land use; initiates any actions necessary to correct deviations or violations. Provides information and technical assistance to citizens, property owners, land developers, contractors, architects, staff members, or other individuals/agencies regarding planning/zoning issues, codes/ordinances, building permits, plan reviews, procedures, forms, or other issues; responds to routine questions or complaints; researches problems and initiates problem resolutions; meets with customers as requested. Coordinates comprehensive plan updates, ordinance modifications, and other long-range planning projects.
Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning supplemented AND
Three (3) years directly-related experience s
Master’s degree in Urban Planning from an accredited college or university OR
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Manages the process of rezoning, conditional-use/special-use permits and variance applications.
- Interprets local, state, and federal regulations and ordinances and determines regulatory limitations on projects.
- Formulates planning policy recommendations.
- Reviews and recommends development proposals for compliance with various development regulations with principles and practices of effective planning and land use; approves subdivision plats for recording.
- Writes, updates, and revises local zoning, development code, and other ordinances.
- Attends meetings, seminars, and training sessions, local and national planning conferences, to remain knowledgeable of planning-related subjects in order to promote planning initiatives.
- Participates in public hearings and public meetings relative to planning applications and/or policy decisions.
- Attends and represents the department at Council meetings, Planning Commission meetings, and Zoning Board of Appeals meetings.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Ability Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of policies, procedures and activities for municipal, county, and urban planning practices.
- Knowledge of zoning laws and comprehensive plans, including formation, process of adoption, and enforcement.
- Knowledge of GIS applications and community development software.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information.
- Ability to comprehend the terminology, principles, and methods utilized within the department
- Ability to handle required mathematical calculations, using percentages and decimals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with architects, contractors, developers, owners, supervisors, employees and the general public.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with general public in sometimes difficult and trying circumstances (Customer Service).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public.
- Ability to work accurately with detailed records and complex information.
- Ability to work independently.
- Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Director of Economic Development.
- The work is typically performed with the employee sedentary and indoors.
- The work is typically performed in an office setting.
All applicants may be required to complete the following: written exam, physical exam, drug screening, polygraph, and background investigation. A valid driver’s license is required.
If you feel you qualify for the above position, and you meet the minimum requirements, you may complete an application at the Human Resources Office, 971 Wilson Road, Riverdale, GA 30296. Applications are available from 8:00 to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday. Applications are also available on www.riverdalega.gov.