: Assist with daily planning department tasks and with the management and coordination of the City’s land use planning activities including short range and comprehensive plan implementation, historic preservation, zoning and annexation. This position reports to the City Planner.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Assists in the review of development proposals and site plans for conformance with codes, plans, and regulations.
- Conducts reviews of various development applications including plats, permits, site plans, sign permits, variance requests, and re-zonings while coordinating with staff and communicating with developers, to ensure compliance with City's development regulations and zoning codes and policies.
- Consult with citizens, department heads, and other officials of municipal, county, state, and federal governments in order to assist in the coordination of all phases of planning.
- Assists with the development and implementation of the City's Comprehensive Plan in accordance with state law and guidelines in an effort to facilitate the development of an effective comprehensive plan that is coordinated across governmental boundaries.
- Perform other current and long-range planning activities regarding growth management, transportation planning, zoning, annexation, etc, ensuring compliance with federal, state and local land use and zoning laws.
- Conducts research in specific or general project areas. Tasks may include writing and presenting formal and technical reports, working papers, and other correspondence.
- Collects a variety of statistical data and prepare reports and maps on topics such as census information, land use, tax base data, and occupancy rates.
- Writes or assists in writing a variety of ordinances and regulations relating to development controls.
- Provide assistance in development of annual departmental operating budgets, operating programs and work schedules necessary to implement planning & development objectives.
- Interprets and applies applicable state, county, city codes, ordinances and regulations as directed.
- Attend all assigned regularly scheduled meetings of the City Council, Planning Commission, Historic Preservation Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Represent the City on various boards, commissions, and special task forces
- Attend meetings, workshops and conferences pertaining to Planning and development.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban, regional, and community planning.
- Knowledge of governmental regulatory codes and guidelines pertaining to planning, zoning and development related activities. Knowledge of City regulations, ordinances and policies