This is a semi-skilled position that requires the application of knowledge and skills to operate equipment and perform regular, recurring and routine tasks for maintenance, repair and installation of the wastewater distribution and collections system. Work involves maintaining sewer lines and lift stations and marking utility locates.
- Repairs and maintains water lines; repairs leaks; installs new lines and replaces existing lines that need repairs; requests gas locates before digging proceeds;
- Operates and maintains equipment such as pumps, blowers, motors, and other equipment;
- Detects improper operation of equipment and reports need for repair;
- Collects samples and sends to lab;
Knowledge Required by the Position:
- Performs assigned work to install and repair sewer lines, pumps, and lift stations;
- Conducts required preventative maintenance work on assigned lift stations and equipment, sewer lines, and pumps;
- Conducts utility locates by locating and marking with paint and flags locations of sewer lines and/or laterals;
- Lays and aligns piping, accomplishes hookups, and tests installation according to established procedures;
- Inspect and cleans manholes for roots, blockages, and outside water infiltration; paints manholes; measures depths of inverts and sizes of pipes; and completes necessary paperwork regarding problem areas;
- Installs new and replacement meters and hydrants:
- Responds to and participates in emergency and customer service calls;
- Operates heavy equipment, such as back hoe and mini-excavator;
- May operate City vehicles in the performance of duties;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the City’s wastewater collectionsand distribution system;
- Knowledge of preventative and corrective maintenance procedures;
- Knowledge of lift station equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in wastewater collection maintenance and operation activities;
- Knowledge of safety procedures and other departmental policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of tools and machinery required to complete tasks, including safety equipment (e.g. safety vests, hard hats, gloves);
- Ability to mark utility locates, i.e. research maps to perform locates and mark direction, depth, and location of storm and sanitary sewer lines;
- Ability to properly operate tools and machinery associated with the wastewater collections system, i.e. pump truck, crane truck, tripod harness, chainsaws, lawn mowers weed eaters, electronic flow meters, TV equipment, back hoe, jack hammer, and metal detector, etc;
- Ability to detect flaws in the operation of collections system equipment;
- Ability to perform process control calculations;
- Ability to follow established safety rules and departmental policies and procedures;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, City officials and the general public;
- Ability to respond seven days a week, 24 hours a day for system emergencies as needed.
Work is performed under the direct supervision of the Water and Sewer Foreman/Public Works Director.
: Guidelines include City and Departmental policies and procedures, EPD regulations, wastewater collection specifications, and other State and Federal laws concerning wastewater collections systems. These guidelines are usually clear and specific, but sometimes require interpretation.
The work consists of regular, recurring, and routine tasks for maintenance, installation, and repair of the Wastewater Collections System.
Scope and Effect:
The purpose of this position is to ensure that the wastewater collections system operates properly by locating trouble areas, making necessary repairs and adjustments, and maintaining the neatness and appearance of the lift stations. Failure to maintain a properly functioning system may result in system back-ups and overflows that could jeopardize the safety of the City drinking water.
Contacts are typically with co-workers, contractors, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts
: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, resolve problems and provide services.
The work requires intermittent periods of sitting, standing and walking. Depending on the task being performed, the employee is required to climb stairs and ladders, reach over equipment to make adjustments, turn large valves, climb into confined areas, lift objects weighing over 100 pounds and use tools requiring a high degree of dexterity. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and is occasionally required to smell. The employee must be able to carry heavy objects (10-100 lbs.) and bend, squat, twist, crawl, and/or climb on a daily basis. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
Work is primarily performed outdoors in every kind of weather condition and in confined spaces under unpleasant conditions. Depending on the task, the noise intensity ranges from moderately loud to very loud. Hazards associated with the operation of power tools and equipment, working around high voltage pumps, vibrations, and with very hot materials and toxic substances are present. Work performed in this job may place the employee at risk of occupational exposure to blood-borne pathogens. Appropriate safety equipment must be worn at all times.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility:
High school diploma or equivalent, two (2) years of related experience; possess or obtain within one (1) year of appointment Wastewater Collections System Operator License; possess a valid State of Georgia Class C driver's license; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Submit completed application to:
Palmetto City Hall
Attn: Cindy Hanson, City Clerk
P.O. Box 190, Palmetto, GA 30268
Based on experience
End Date for Applications:
Until position is filled