POSITION: City Clerk and Treasurer, reports to the City Administrator
Salary Range $59,716.80 - $62,129.60
Eligible for health and dental coverage, retirement plan, life insurance, long term disability insurance, deferred compensation plan, ten paid holidays per year, ten days annual leave per year and ten days sick leave per year, and ancillary benefits.
Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime Pay)
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, with varied evenings to facilitate scheduled City Council and other meetings.
This is an exempt management level position appointed by Mayor and City Council. Responsible for performing City Clerk duties as described in the City’s Charter, Code of Ordinances, as provided by the Mayor and City Council, and as listed herewith, with department administrative staff support. The position is responsible for supervising the Assistant City Clerk, Records Clerk, and Cashiers. Work involves managing, planning, and operating the Office of City Clerk. Incumbent is required to attend City Council and other meetings. Work performance is evaluated through formal evaluation, conferences and reports, and is performance based. Treasurer duties include administration of financial investments, bank accounts, cash collection, and being contact person for these and other related financial matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend and help run City meetings; participate in meetings and make recommendations, prepare and distributes agendas, take minutes, and publicize information which is required to be publicized by law.
- Attend conferences to provide assistance to the City Council and City Administrator as needed.
<>·Ensure the process of creating an ordinance or resolution follows legal procedures and processes; help create the documents, distribute them for amendments and revisions, and publish them for the public to see when such documents are subject to public inspection, public release, and open records laws.
- Develop, maintain and distribute Resolutions, Proclamations and other official documentation.
<>·Serve as the official custodian of all City records; organize, maintain, archive, and delete records according to Georgia law and the City’s records retention schedule, which cities are required to have.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the City’s Records Retention schedule and Records Management Program.
<>···Responsible for the filing, reporting, and maintaining of annexation documents.
<>·Serves as City Election Superintendent and official Voter Registrar; trains and supervises the work of poll workers; prepares official election notices, ballots, and reports; orders election supplies necessary in connection with municipal elections.
- Attend mandatory and other training offered by the Secretary of State and Ethics Department.
<>·Handle the collection and management of documents related to ethics filings for political candidates including campaign contributions and financial disclosure.
<>··Bachelor’s or higher degree in Public Administration, Political Science, Management, Business, or related field from an accredited college or university, preferred;
- Ten years of progressively responsible experience in public administration; specific experience as a Municipal Clerk is preferred, or
- Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge and skills to successfully perform the duties of the position is acceptable.
- Satisfactory background screening to include financial.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, the appropriate, valid Georgia driver’s license.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- State Certification as a Municipal Clerk is required within two years. IIMC Certification is encouraged.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of public administration and municipal procedures and operations.
- Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws affecting local government, including recordkeeping and filing requirements and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of management principles and supervisory practices. Ability to organize, supervise and give clear instructions to employees. Requires the ability to deal with and relate to people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be able to adapt and perform under minimal stress when confronted with an emergency.
- Thorough knowledge of modern office practices, methods, equipment and standard clerical procedures, including computers and related software applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Business English, spelling, arithmetic and municipal budgeting procedures.
- Ability to compile, analyze and evaluate data and prepare and maintain clear, accurate, and comprehensive recommendations, records and reports.
<>··Maintains high standards of accuracy in exercising duties and responsibilities. Exercises immediate remedial action to correct any quality deficiencies that occur in areas of responsibility. Maintains high quality communication and interface with all City departments and divisions, co-workers and customers, and the general public.
Supervisory Controls: Work is performed under the supervision of the City Administrator.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: The position has supervisory responsibility for the Assistant City Clerk, Records Clerk.
Guidelines: The incumbent must follow applicable federal, state, and local laws, City and departmental policies and procedures and applicable City ordinances.
Complexity: The work consists of a variety of highly administrative duties.
Scope and Effect: The purpose of this position is to effectively and efficiently provide City Clerk duties as described in the City’s Charter, Code of Ordinances, and as provided by the Mayor and City Council.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are with the Mayor and Council, City Administrator, other City department heads, City employees, and the general public. Secondary contacts include banking or other financial and vendors, other Governmental entities and representatives and other external customers.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information, provide services, assist in resolving problems, and to coordinate outreach functions and events.
Physical Demands: The work is typically performed sitting at a desk in an office environment, with a moderate level of noise. The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity; must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines, which includes computer, printer, facsimile machine, copy machine, telephone, etc. Must be able to use body members to work, move or carry objects or materials; physical demand requirements are at levels of those for sedentary work; must be able to lift and/or carry weights of up to twenty to forty pounds.
Requires the ability to read and understand a variety of documentation, instructions, and methods and procedures; requires the ability to write memorandums and reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech; requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control, and confidence using correct English and well-modulated voice.
Requires the ability to learn and understand basic administrative and financial principles and techniques; to make routine judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire knowledge of topics related to office administrative procedures and event planning and coordination processes; ability to retrieve, comprehend, craft and post information to social media platforms.
Requires the ability to record and deliver information, to explain procedures, and to follow verbal and written instruction.
Requires the ability to utilize mathematical formulas; add and subtract totals; determine percentages; determine time and weight.
Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes in using automated office equipment; to operate motor vehicles.
Requires the ability to handle a variety of items, office equipment, control knobs, switches, etc.; must have the ability to use one hand for twisting or turning motion while coordinating other hand with different activities; must have minimal levels of eye/hand/foot coordination.
Requires the ability to differentiate colors and shades of color.
Requires the ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions; incumbent must possess a high degree of honesty, integrity, dependability and must exercise discretion; must be adaptable to performing under stress associated with daily duties.
Requires the ability to talk and/or hear.
Please go to our website www.fairburn.com
to apply for the position. Should you have any questions please contact Abril Montano in the HR Department 770 964-2244x111. Deadline for applications is: