Employment Opportunities >> Public Works & Utilities
Town of Tyrone
Posted: May. 24, 2018
End Date: Jul. 1, 2018
Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor
Job Summary: This is supervisory and skilled work responsible for planning and coordinating the maintenance of the Town’s streets, paths, buildings and grounds. Under the supervision of the Town Engineer/Public Works Director, work involves planning, scheduling and supervising the work of the Public Works maintenance crew.
· Supervises and participates in the repair and maintenance of Town streets, paths, storm drains, catch basins, parks, rights-of-way, buildings and related facilities;
· Plans, schedules and assigns work; instructs and trains in correct methods and procedures; examines work for completion;
· Reviews and evaluates employee performance; administers discipline and makes hiring and termination recommendations to the Town Manager;
· Ensures department staff follow safe practices and departmental policies and procedures;
· Evaluates and plans for the infrastructure maintenance needs of the Town; coordinates completion of contracted services for larger maintenance projects;
· Prepares and maintains required reports; makes routine and special reports and investigations when warranted;
· Participates in scheduled supervisor meetings;
· Determines project cost estimates; performs purchasing consistent with Town policies;
· Communicates with Town residents on customer service issues such as litter, drainage problems, down trees, roadkill, etc.;
· Responds to and participates in emergency calls, as assigned;
· Performs sewer utility locates, as needed;
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Required by the Position:
· Extensive knowledge of the operation and maintenance of hand tools and light equipment for repair and maintenance functions;
· Knowledge of or ability to learn Town streets and geography;
· Knowledge of Town ordinances, policies and procedures;
· Skill operating a variety of tools, equipment and vehicles;
· Skill in using a variety of computer programs for administrative functions;
· Effective written and oral communication skills;
· Ability to operate machinery requiring a high level of dexterity and perform duties in a variety of weather conditions;
· Ability to adhere to safe equipment operating procedures and respond to dangerous situations accordingly;
· Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the general public.
Job Title: Maintenance Supervisor (Continued)
Supervisory Controls: The work of this position is performed under the general supervision of the Town Engineer/Public Works Director.
Guidelines: Guidelines include Town and departmental safety manuals, policies and procedures.
Complexity: The work consists of administrative, supervisory and manual labor involving the proper use of a variety of equipment.
Personal Contacts: Contacts are typically with co-workers and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
Physical Demands: This work is performed indoors and outdoors with the employee sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, carrying, pulling, balancing, kneeling or stooping and may require physical exertion over moderately long periods of time. The employee may lift light to heavy objects and use equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work Environment: Work is performed in an indoor and outdoor environment where the employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, slippery or uneven surfaces, confined spaces and possible sustained periods in hot, cold or inclement weather. The work may require use of protective devices such as gloves and safety jackets.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility: This position is responsible for the management and supervision of maintenance crew/workers within the Public Works Department.
Bachelor’s degree preferred; four (4) years related work experience, with minimum of two (2) years in a supervisory capacity; or any equivalent combination of education and experience; valid State of Georgia driver’s license and satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record required; equivalent combination of education and experience.