Salary Range: $36,500 - $45,600
Posting will expire: Open Until Filled
General Description and Classification Standards
Serves the citizens of Atlanta by inspecting all permitted land disturbing construction projects to ensure compliance with the approved plans of the City and Georgia Soil & Water Commission. Duties include, but are not limited to: conducting residential and light commercial inspections; maintaining records on files; preparing erosion and sedimentation reports; writing stop work orders; investigation of problems and complaints; inspecting infrastructure construction including but not limited to sewer systems, paving and drainage facilities; and performing additional tasks as needed.
Performs work under general supervision with review and advice from Environmental Compliance Officer Supervisor or a senior level professional.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Monitoring land disturbance activities within the jurisdictional boundaries of the City to protects the City's infrastructure and surface waters by diligently enforcing the City's Environmental regulations and supporting the sustainable growth of the City's resources for future generations. Ensures compliance with State, Federal and local regulations. Serves as a subject matter expert on City environmental issues where applicable. Serves as expert witness when required to testify in court. Responds to citizen complaints and process those service requests in electronic data base.
- This is the second level for this job family. Individuals entering this level must already possess the basic professional knowledge arising from a pertinent degree program and or work experience.
- Able to interpret turbidity sampling results of storm water for compliance with the City, State and Federal requirements.
- Develops a thorough understanding of Federal, State and local environmental regulations and keep abreast of new or proposed regulations as they arise.
- Advises senior level professionals or upper level management on environmental compliance issues and the impact of administrative decisions as they pertain to environmental regulatory compliance
- This position may be required to make decisions regarding onsite issues, writing citations. Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledges, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of environmental regulatory compliance knowledge of Federal, State and local environmental laws, rules, and regulations; knowledge of safety regulations; knowledge of computer usage and applications.
- Skilled in operating a computer and other office equipment (i.e. Fax machine, scanner, camera); skilled in communicating effectively verbally and in writing; skilled in operating a vehicle with a good driving record.
- Ability to review construction plans and technical reports; ability to work independently and utilizes sound judgment; ability to perform effectively as a member of the team in carrying out the City’s stated mission and philosophy; ability to perform the essential functions of the job without posing a direct threat to the health and safety of others.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED.
- 2 years' of surveying, construction management or erosion/construction inspection experience
- A combination of experience and education may be considered.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Associate degree in Engineering, Building Construction, or a related field - a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- 4 years' of surveying, construction management or erosion/construction inspection experience.
Licensures and Certifications
- Must possess a vaild State of Georgia driver’s license
- Certified erosion and sedimentation inspector in the state of Georgia (Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission, Level 1B) preferred. Must be able to obtain certification within 6 months.
- Must have the ability to achieve within six months of employment Level II Certified Plan Reviewer
- Must be able to be issued Sworn Officer of the Court credentials by the Atlanta Police Department.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.