Posting expires: Open Until Filled
Salary range: $34,700 - $43,400
General Description and Classification Standards
Performs the physical connecting and disconnecting of water supply to customers; reads water meters for service account initiation and termination; installs and removes water meters; and performs related work as required. This is an experienced, skilled or technical level capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the position or specialty with limited guidance or review. This level would be considered a promotional level and attainable by any incumbents in a work group who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, ability, and performance. Could be the only position in this specialty in a work group or could be part of a general or specialized work team.
Works under very general supervision. May work independently or with other skilled or semi-skilled workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Locates and/or traces service lines and stop boxes as requested by customer, plumber, public utility or other outside agency. Locates, traces, and records location of all other utilities within the affected area of work prior to making repairs to the distribution system.
- Operates computerized/electronic leak detection and locating equipment to survey and pinpoint leaks in the water distribution system and on a contractual basis for other water utilities, plumbers, etc.
- Investigates water leaks and low pressure problems to determine source and determines corrective action needed to remedy problem. Inspects various customer owned water facilities for rules and regulations compliance.
- Advises customer of necessary corrections, ensures repairs are made in a timely fashion, grants variances to regulations and terminates service for failure to comply.
- Performs various inspection and testing activities to assure new facilities can be accurately located and are leak free.
- Interprets blueprints, sketches, and written or oral instructions. Requests locations of lines and cables of other utilities. Documents work activities and prepare reports both manually and with a computer.
- Maintains and performs minor repairs of electronic equipment to ensure their proper function.
Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of the operation of the water distribution system and how various issues may affect customers; knowledge of data available for field use in various distribution record systems; knowledge of requirements of cross connection control, devices used, and their installations; knowledge of water utility rules and regulations for customers, and skill in their application.
- Proficient analytical/decision making skills; skilled in operating electronic leak detection and locating equipment to accurately locate leaks and underground infrastructure; Skilled in utilizing fault locating equipment to pinpoint failures.
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships with staff members and the public; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- 3 years' of work experience in a water distribution system
Preferred Education & Experience
- Completion of Technical or Vocational course of study in Construction, Utility Management or related area
- 5 years' of work experience in a water distribution system
Licensures and Certifications
- Valid State of Georgia Driver's License required.
- Water Distribution Operator’s Certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment required.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.