Salary Range - $34,700 to $43,400
Posting to Expire: Open Until Filled
General Description and Classification Standards
Performs a variety of semi-skilled duties in the testing, replacement, repair and maintenance of water meters and related equipment and performs customer services in connection with water service related problems. This is the entry level for this job family. Individuals entering this level must already possess the basic knowledge of the work and the required motor skills and physical capabilities to carry out basic tasks. Typically performs the simplest pertinent tasks, assists higher level workers in more complex jobs, Prepares or puts away tools.
Position may be part of an apprentice program; position may be classified as an Apprentice if such a program/class exists. Position is distinguished from a semi-skilled laborer in that this position routinely uses tools appropriate to higher level skilled positions
General supervision. Receives assignments and determines method and procedure.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Tests water meters in service with testing equipment for accuracy to determine if replacement and/or repair is necessary.
- Checks and follows up on customer complaints of water related problems such as high bills, taste, odor, dirty water and pressure; takes corrective action as necessary.
- Performs a variety of skilled plumbing tasks in water main, service, hydrant and valve maintenance and repair; performs service turn-ons and turn-offs and emergency turn-offs for repairs.
- Operates large trucks and construction equipment such as loaders, backhoes, water truck and trenching machines.
- Processes and maintains records, reports, and other appropriate paperwork as required.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with coworkers and the public.
Follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of methods, materials and tools used in water meter repair work; knowledge of mechanisms of water meters; knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions necessary in such work.
- Skilled in operating hand and power tools.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; ability to use and care for tools and equipment; ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and schematics; ability to write routine reports and correspondences; ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- 1 year of work experience in as a Water Technician or related area.
Preferred Education & Experience
High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED), plus 1 year of work experience in as a Water Technician.
Licensures and Certifications
Valid State Issued Driver's License
Must have Georgia Water Distribution Operator License.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.