Salary Range - $31,400 to $39,300
Posting Expiration Date: Open Until Filled
The purpose of this job is to oversee the delivery of and perform skilled inspections of city and contracted construction projects. Duties include, but are not limited to: inspecting projects; maintaining records and logs; preparing schedules; investigating complaints and reports; and performing additional tasks as assigned.
The following duties are normal for this job. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
• Oversees, inspects, and assesses construction projects.
• Performs inspections of construction sites to ensure compliance with federal, sate, and city codes, ordinances, and regulations.
• Ensures that contractors are current with required permits.
• Maintains listing of projects and areas in need of repair.
• Prepares reports and supporting documentation, as needed; drafts resolutions for repairs.
• Updates and approves utility permits.
• Approves plans for construction contractors.
• Responds to questions, complaints and requests for information by telephone, in person or by mail from customers, employees, and department heads.
• Confers with property owners and utility companies regarding the effect of construction work on their property.
• Answers telephone utilizing accepted format; provides information, advice and guidance; takes and relays messages and/or directs calls to appropriate personnel.
• Greets visitors and directs to appropriate person or department.
Record Keeping and Documentation:
• Reviews and verifies multiple reports and documents.
• Maintains logs and records.
Marginal Job Functions
• Performs other related duties as required.
High school diploma or GED required, Associate's degree in Engineering or Building Construction preferred; two years of surveying, engineering or construction management experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess a valid Georgia driver's license. Must possess a Georgia Water Distribution Operator license.
Has knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of engineering and inspection as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities. Has general knowledge of all applicable laws, ordinances, policies, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the job. Ability to keep abreast of any changes in policy, methods, operations, as they pertain to departmental and construction inspection operations and activities. Is able to effectively communicate and interact with contractors, management, employees, members of the general public and all other groups involved in the activities of the City as they relate to the department. Is able to assemble information and make written reports and documents in a concise, clear and effective manner. Has good human relations, and technical skills. Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information. Ability to read, understand and interpret construction and engineering reports, blue prints, plans, specifications and ability to make less difficult, field and office engineering computations. Ability to work above and make independent decisions concerning construction projects. Ability to utilized and understand computer applications and techniques as necessary in the completion of daily assignments.