The City of Tybee Island is seeking a highly motivated, qualified professional with proven leadership, technical, and administrative skills to serve as the Tybee Island Fire Dept. Chief. The City of Tybee is an island off the coast of Georgia approximately 20 miles from Savannah, Georgia. There are approximately 4,000 residents, but due to the fact that Tybee is a designated Beach Community that number greatly expands to 15,000-20,000 during the spring and summer months.
Description of Duties:
The position of Fire Chief serves under the direction of the City Manager with general responsibilities for developing, planning, organizing, directing a combined paid/volunteer Fire Department and Ocean Rescue operations including scheduling weekly training drills, maintaining records and training certifications, recruiting volunteers, purchasing equipment, controlling expenditures and preparing a department budget. This position oversees fire suppression and prevention, ocean rescue, water/marine search and rescue, emergency medical responder (EMR) services, disaster preparedness and response, general administration functions, and performs related responsibilities as required.
- Associate’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited university.
- NPQ Fire Officer 2 certification as set forth by the State of Georgia Fire Academy.
- The completion of NPQ Fire Officer 3 and 4, and the Georgia Chief Fire Officer Orientation Course shall be required within 18 months of hire date.
- Ten years of extensive experience in the firefighting work of a progressively responsible nature, serving at least five years in a command or supervisory capacity.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the state of Georgia for the type(s) of vehicle or equipment operated.
For consideration, all applicants must reside within a 20 minute response time from The City of Tybee Island.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited university.
- NPQ Fire Officer 4 certification as set forth by the State of Georgia Fire Academy.
- Completion of the Georgia Chief Fire Officer Orientation course.
- NASBLA BOAT/SAR Certification
- Coast Guard Captain’s License – USCG OUPV (6-Pak) or above
Apply online: www.cityoftybee.org
Starting Salary: $71,621 – $82,569
Job Open Until Filled
EOE and Drug Free Workplace, we welcome and thank all applicants
The City offers an excellent benefits package, including 100% coverage on medical and dental insurance for the employee, life insurance, long-term disability, pension, FMLA leave, and continuing education assistance.
We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, the presence of a disability or any other legally protected status.
Supplemental Essay Questions
In order to get a better sense of your writing skills and additional insights into your experience, please answer the following questions. Limit your responses to no more than a single page per question and return your answers as part of your application
- Please tell us why you are interested it his position and why it is a good time in your career to come to the Tybee Island Fire Department.
- Please describe your experience managing volunteer firefighters. How would you go about maximizing volunteer recruitment, involvement and retention?
- Please describe your philosophy an approach to working with volunteers and paid personnel.