Butts County will be seeking applications for the position of Leisure Services Director. The selected applicant will oversee and administrate a broad range of programs associated with Leisure Services, including Parks, Recreation & the Senior Citizen Centers and associated duties. The position also provides assistance as a liaison to the Butts County Historical Society.
Please read this entire document for instructions on applying and deadlines. Incomplete applications or applications which do not meet the requirements of the position will be rejected.
Under limited supervision, incumbent is responsible for directing the operations of the Leisure Services Departments of Parks, Recreation & Senior Citizen Centers and any managers associated with those functions; and providing liaison assistance for agencies assigned within the Leisure Services group. Functions include planning goals; developing, coordinating and managing the department budget; managing and directing subordinates; procuring and managing grants and donations; creating and implementing internal departmental policy and ensuring that policy is aligned with County policy; and ensuring that facilities and equipment is properly maintained and monitored. Position is also responsible for providing guidance and assistance as well as serving as a liaison to the Butts County Historical Society and on behalf of the County. Employee attends seminars and conferences directly pertaining to the responsibilities associated with the position. As Director, employee focuses on the supervision of all processes concerned with the recreational and leisure service outreach of the County. Incumbent reports directly to the County Administrator concerning personnel and operational aspects.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Directly supervises, directs and evaluates subordinate management staff and other subordinate personnel within the Department.
2. Performs liaison duties with all agencies under the Leisure Services group, including and mentoring management staff as needed as well as the Historical Society as a County representative to that organization.
3. Manages the operations of the Department by directing and coordinating various activities of personnel engaged in providing leisure services and outreach of the department.
4. Ensures that all subordinates have met and continue to meet all federal, state and local certification requirements for their particular job class.
5. Ensures that all personnel are properly trained in their job assignments by assigning senior trainers and mentors to oversee employees.
6. Coordinates activities of internal and external personnel engaged in providing services to the Department.
7. Ensures that all facilities under their purview are safe, neat and presentable, in compliance with all government regulations concerning accessibility and are available for use by the public as
8. Plans, develops and communicates departmental goals in conjunction with County, City and other local agency goals and objectives.
9. Develops and monitors Department budget and ensures compliance with overall County budget. Works with and advises other agencies within the group on budgetary preparation.
10. Procures and manages grants and donations to support Division services.
11. Confers with local government and agency authorities for approval of major capital investments needed in establishing and maintaining levels of service provided to the county.
12. Cooperates with other agencies within the county and outside the county as needs determine.
13. Maintains and updates capital improvement plans for Department expansion or replacement of existing capital and files any and all paperwork accordingly.
14. Coordinates Department public relations activities, such as public service announcements, in conjunction with various groups and agencies in order to provide citizens with adequate information concerning Leisure Services projects and outreach.
15. Attends professional development seminars and courses designed to enhance current knowledge and coordinates the professional development of subordinates.
16. Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals involved in the operations of the department, including City and County officials, volunteers, parents, community groups, vendors, etc.
17. Prepares and receives bids for services, equipment, work performed, special services, etc.
18. Acts to resolve problems, both internal and interdepartmentally.
19. Is a source of information and guidance to other managers assigned to the Leisure Services Division such as the Senior Center Manager
20. Submits required reports to the County Administrator’s Office on activities and accomplishments.
MINIMUM Education & Experience
Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field (Examples: Recreation, Leisure Services, Sports & Recreation Management, Recreational Studies) or a combination of education, experience and skills that meet the prerequisites of the position.
Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The level of complexity for this job classification is high. The incumbent has extensive knowledge of policies, procedures, practices, and activities of the department. Has extensive knowledge of the relevant laws, regulations, and guidelines as they pertain to the performance of the duties of the Director of Leisure Services. Also has a working knowledge of the machinations of affiliated agencies the Director liaisons with such Butts County Transit as well as Historical Services and Senior Center Services. Has the ability to effectively perform duties within the bounds of legal obligations. Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information. Has the extensive knowledge of the principles of organization, planning management and supervision as required by the Department. Is able to complete, process, and maintain a variety of reports, charts, equipment manifests and logs that are required in the performance of daily operations. Proficient computer skills with competency in Microsoft Office software to include Word, Excell, Access, Publisher & Power Point. Is able to use independent judgment and discretion in the handling of various situations, determining and deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards and resolving problems. Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations involving decimals and percentages. Knows how to estimate time, materials and supplies required to complete various tasks. Possesses excellent communication skills both verbal and written, and is able to maintain positive relationships with all parties involved. Has the ability to schedule daily activities and to establish short and long term priorities in order to meet established goals. Is skilled in independent decision-making, judgment and discretion as necessary to perform daily routine and non-routine tasks.
To Apply: Applicants should submit an application (which may be obtained from the Commissioner’s Office or visiting the County website at www.buttscountyga.com along with a cover letter and complete résumé of qualifications to the attention of:
Ellen Glidewell, Human Resources Generalist
625 W. Third Street, Suite 4
Jackson, Georgia 30233
Applications must be received by July 13, 2018 by close of business (5PM).
Butts County Georgia is an equal opportunity, drug-free workplace employer.