The City of Clarkston Georgia is seeking to fill Police Detective position (Certified).
This position is responsible for assisting fellow officers with interdepartmental duties and city activities; responding to the needs of the general public by performing police investigations; compiling reports, preparing cases for trial and appearing in court; maintaining and updating records for proper documentation; working to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of law enforcement within the City of Clarkston.
- Oversees complex criminal investigations including but not limited to: homicides, sexual assaults, armed robberies, home invasions, and property crimes such as burglaries;
- Examines and processes crime scenes under various weather conditions to obtain clues and evidence;
- Notes, marks, and photographs location of objects found, such as footprints, tire tracks, bullets and bloodstains and takes measurements of the scene;
- Obtains facts or statements from complainants, witnesses, and accused persons; takes depositions from victims; performs interviews and interrogations; records interviews;
- Obtains summary of incident from officer in charge at crime scene, taking care to avoid disturbing evidence;
- Analyzes completed police reports to determine what additional information and investigative work is needed; prepare charges or responses to charges, or information for court cases, according to formalized procedures;
- Testifies in court proceedings by providing reports, sketches and photographs;
- Maintains equipment to ensure that it is in a state of readiness;
- Preserves, processes and analyzes items of evidence obtained from crime scenes and suspects, placing them in proper containers and destroying evidence no longer needed;
- Records progress of investigation; maintains informational files on suspects; submits reports to commanding officer or magistrate to authorize warrants;
- Updates supervisor on the status of all assigned cases;
- Collaborates with other agencies; attends briefings and conferences with agencies requesting assistance;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s degree with course work in political science, criminology, criminal justice or related field required; Bachelor’s preferred; two (2) years of law enforcement experience including investigation work; training courses related to field of investigations; Georgia P.O.S.T. Certified; valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applications are being accepted in the Clarkston Police Department at Clarkston City Hall, 1055 Rowland St, Clarkston, GA 30021, until June 29, 2018. An application may be picked up at the City Hall or a printable copy of the employment application is available at www.cityofclarkston.com under the links page. Contact LT Harry Hess for more information/interviews, firstname.lastname@example.org
or 404-292-9465. All applicants must complete a Clarkston Police Application packet to be considered for the position.