Salary Range: $31,400 - $39,300
Posting to Expire - Open Until Filled
General Description and Classification Standards
- Functions as a lead worker for semi-skilled construction and/or maintenance work in support of a wide variety of drinking water or wastewater distribution systems activities. Operates hand and power tools, light to medium construction equipment, etc.
- Generally works as a part of a work crew, but may work independently or act as a lead worker a crew in standard linear infrastructure construction or maintenance. Work is performed frequently in cooperation with skilled trades employees, experienced equipment operators, technicians, or crew supervisors.
Works under direct supervision and follows standardized procedures and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks; may assist in training, orienting, or observing lower level associate, apprentice, or semi-skilled employee in the group.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Completes assigned work orders in an efficient and effective manner; works with supervisor to prioritize work orders; works in a safe and organized manner to ensure safety for self, crew and the public and to complete assignments correctly and on time.
- Works as part of and/or leads a work crew to inspect and repair water mains; places flags or cones to control traffic in case of water main break, makes water tap on water mains, installs tailpiece on water mains, unstops sewers and house connections, cleans catch basins, repairs cave-ins, locates water service connections and water main lines; marks service connections, water mains and sewer lines.
- Installs water meters; follows assigned route/schedule, advises customer of installation, records meter number and other information as required, and the time it took to complete job.
- May go to construction sites to determine if specific work has been completed by a contractor. Checks utility truck to assure that proper equipment and tools are present and in working order; requests approval for necessary materials to complete assigned work orders.
- Maintains a safe and organized work area; stores tools; collects scrap and leftover materials; blows debris from sidewalks.
Selects from multiple standardized procedures, written instructions and methods to accomplish assigned tasks.
Routinely provides work group leadership, guidance, and/or training to less experienced staff. May lead or instruct less experienced workers in standard construction or maintenance activities.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Knowledge of department policies and procedures; of methods, products, tools and equipment used in public works maintenance and construction work; of basic mathematical principles.
- Skill: in operating a variety of light to heavy power equipment; in maintenance of tools and equipment.
- Ability: to understand and apply pertinent policies, procedures and regulations; to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted during the course of work; to perform maintenance activities involving skills in the functional fields to which assigned; to maintain records and make simple reports; to work beyond normal working hours, as required.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- High school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
- Two (2) years of experience in construction and/or maintenance in a water distribution or wastewater collection system.
Licensures and Certifications
- State of Georgia Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B is required.
- A Water Distribution or Wastewater Collection License is desirable.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.