Salary range: Commensurate with experience
Posting Expires: Open until filled
General Description and Classification Standards
Oversees and completes professional/technical engineering, engineering design and review, standards, survey work, inspections, and other engineering assignments. Supports a full range of Planning & Development operations by delivering this data in formats and in applications that supports critical planning, engineering and decision support activities across the enterprise. This is an experienced, professional level capable of carrying out most assignments typical of the profession with limited guidance or review. This level would be considered a promotional level and attainable by any incumbents in a work group who demonstrate the necessary knowledge, ability, and performance. Could be the only professional in this specialty in a work group.
Works under very general supervision. Depending on organization structure, may work independently with responsibility for an assigned function or program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Researches and prepares guidelines for alternative material and construction installation methods for use in the water distribution system. Plans and designs solutions to individual challenges and problems in the water distribution system. Receives, documents, processes and performs engineering analysis on capacity certification applications received; evaluates particulars surrounding each application and make recommendations for approval to the certifying P.E.
- Prepares exhibits and cost estimates for potential rehabilitation remedial solutions that generate required I/I credits for capacity certification approval and inform city staff and applicants/ developers/ engineers-of-record of requirements via written notice.
- Analyzes, updates and maintains the hydraulic model for local basins. This includes preparing data for these basins to be submitted to the City's Capacity Certification Division and responding to any RFI's regarding the hydraulic characteristics and alternative solutions. Responds to additional RFI's (Request for Information) from citizens, council members, city employees, etc.
- Prepares and approves designs for Public Services/Engineering projects in accordance with general engineering principals and City standards; determines project scope, designs, prepares drawings, specifications, bidding documents, contracts, and cost estimates for road projects; conducts and coordinates design and construction surveying, provides construction staking; serves as Project Engineer on Public Services/Engineering projects.
- Conducts construction inspections, reviews and approves contractor pay requests; reviews and processes construction change orders.
- Provides design data for surveying, and engineering applications using Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD); Pavement Management; word processing; spread sheet; Transportation Planning (TRANPLAN), and Geographic Information Systems (GIS); uses appropriate computer hardware; responsible for the data input and production of digital maps, surveys, engineering drawings, and special database reports for Public Services Department.
- Serves as a CAD technical expert on the issue of translation of data between CAD systems (i.e. Autodesk, Munsys) GIS and other modeling and simulation systems; serves as a subject matter expert on spatial data integrity within CAD systems to establish best practices, standards and procedures for translation of all data between platforms with no loss of spatial accuracy or feature attribution.
Selects from multiple procedures and methods to accomplish tasks.
None. May oversee temporary or contract workers as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Extensive knowledge of civil engineering and engineering design; working knowledge of drafting, working knowledge of public works construction; working knowledge of computer aided drafting systems.
- Skill in operating drafting and survey equipment; skills in public speaking and interpersonal relations with the Ability to operate personal computer, digitizer, plotters, and related GIS equipment; ability to design and develop relational databases; ability to instruct others in the operation and use of engineering software; ability to direct the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions and the public; ability to follow written and oral instructions; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to read, interpret and produce maps, surveys, engineering drawings and graphics from engineering software; ability to use CAD, Spread Sheet, Pavement Management, GIS, Transportation Planning Software Programs.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering.
- 3 years' of experience in surveying, engineering design, inspection and drafting.
Preferred Education & Experience
- Master's degree in Civil Engineering
- 5 years' of experience in surveying, engineering design, inspection and drafting.
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.