$87,515 - $131,273
June 22, 2018
July 22, 2018
This position plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the day to day operations of the Public Works Department of the City of Smyrna with respect to the Streets, Fleet Maintenance, Sanitation/Recycling, Building and Grounds, Traffic Engineering and Water and Sewer divisions. The Director establishes and communicates the goals for the department and all divisions.
Essential Job Duties
Minimum Requirements of Position
- Plans and directs the work of the streets, water/sewer, sanitation/recycling, fleet maintenance, traffic engineering and buildings/grounds divisions.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, directs work, counsels, disciplines, makes hiring and termination decisions.
- Oversees maintenance and construction of water, sewer, street, sidewalk, paving and curbing projects; oversees the maintenance of City vehicles and equipment; oversees the collection, storage, transportation, and disposal of solid waste; serves as project manager for all building construction and roadway projects.
- Develops, plans, and implements long and short term strategic plans, goals, and objectives for the City in the area of Public Works; develops and implements policies and procedures for effective operations and maintenance; prioritizes and oversees Public Works projects and activities; identifies new processes and alternatives to resolve problems or improve/enhance operations.
- Develops and implements departmental budget; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget; establishes cost estimates for Public Works projects; develops bid specifications for equipment and Public Works projects; solicits bids for equipment and Public Works projects.
- Reviews and maintains quality and safety of City roads, rights of way and bridges; coordinates paving and road projects.
- Reviews engineering designs for subdivision roads, storm water runoff and utility and water/sewer design and installation; makes recommendations for changes or improvements.
- Ensures adherence to established safety procedures; oversees safety of employees and others through ongoing development and training of safety procedures and programs.
- Meets with citizens to answer questions; responds to public complaints, questions, and/or problems; investigates complaints and problems with divisional supervisors.
- Communicates with Elected Officials, supervisor, City management and employees, vendors, engineers, developers, contractors, law enforcement personnel, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, resolve problems, or give/receive advice/direction.
- Maintains an awareness of new applications, technologies, methods, trends, and advances in the profession: reviews professional publications, manuals, and web sites to increase knowledge of Public Works operations and procedures; attends conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate.
- Attends City Council meetings as necessary; makes presentations to City Council and citizen groups on status of various city public works projects.
- May serve on the City’s License and Variance Board
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Engineering, Architecture or closely related field; supplemented by ten (10)+ years previous government experience and/or training that includes progressive, responsible technical and senior management experience in a related public works field, including supervisory work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Trenching certificate.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
- Certified Public Works Manager designation and/or Water Distribution Operator License a plus
- Ability to read and interpret maps, engineered drawings, specifications and shop drawings.
Applications must be submitted online: www.SmyrnaGA.gov
. Starting salary based upon qualification and experience.
* * * * The City of Smyrna is an Equal Opportunity Employer * * * *