: This position is a lead position responsible for overseeing the electric utility operation and maintenance work.
Knowledge Required by the Position
- Oversees the work of Electric Department crew members; assigns daily tasks; ensures employees adhere to safety guidelines; serves as lead worker in assisting and training crew workers;
- Constructs and maintains overhead electrical lines; repairs sagging wires and overhead equipment connected to the electrical system;
- Operates off road equipment in construction and maintenance of utility lines;
- Secures new wires and insulators to splice wires to adjoining sections of line and complete electrical circuit;
- Responds to customer service calls related to power outages, accidents, fires and weather conditions;
- Detaches existing wires and transfers new wires to utility poles in projects involving system upgrades in electrical voltage capacity;
- Sets residential single-phase and commercial poly-phase meters; makes load checks and provides other customer services;
- Installs and maintains streetlights, including overhead and underground lighting and residential and commercial security lights;
- Identifies location of circuits and cut-out fuses;
- Operates trencher, backhoe and other equipment in the installation of service lines;
- Locates underground electrical lines and identifies project work areas for service work; climbs utility poles as required;
- Assists with trimming trees as necessary;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of the operation of electrical construction and maintenance equipment and vehicles;
- Knowledge of safety precautions for working with energized electrical lines;
- Knowledge of City and department policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of electrical theory as it relates to the electrical industry and work of a Line Laborer;
- Skill in the operation, maintenance, and routine repair of hydraulic equipment used in electrical construction and maintenance;
- Skill in setting poles;
- Skill in the methods, materials and tools used in overhead and underground utility construction and maintenance;
- Ability to oversees the work of crew members;
- Ability to perform work on electric utility facilities in a safe, efficient manner;
- Ability to perform general equipment, tool and vehicle maintenance duties;
- Ability to lift heavy articles and perform physical labor;
- Ability to understand complex oral instructions;
- Ability to operate hand and power tools;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees and the general public;
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
: The Public Works Director assigns work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The work is spot-checked in progress and reviewed upon completion for accurate compliance with instructions and procedures.
: Guidelines include Federal, State, and local electrical codes and safety regulations. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
: The work consists of related duties in operating various machinery and equipment including a line truck.
Scope and Effect
: The purpose of this position is to oversee and provide support in the construction, installation, maintenance and repair of electrical lines and equipment. Successful performance helps ensure the safe, efficient and effective provision of electrical services.
: Contacts are typically with co-workers and electrical service customers.
Purpose of Contacts:
Contacts are typically to exchange information and provide services.
: The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching, and stooping. The employee occasionally lifts heavy objects, climbs ladders and uses tools and equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. The employee must be able to distinguish between shades of color. The employee must be able to handle driving large equipment vehicles.
: The work is performed outdoors, where the employee may be exposed to machinery with moving parts, high voltage, and occasional inclement weather. This work requires the use of protective devices such as gloves.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
: This position oversees crew members, but the final evaluating, hiring, promoting, and disciplining is under the purview of the Public Works Director.
High School diploma or equivalent; five (5) years of electrical experience preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience; possession of a valid Commercial Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
Health insurance for the employee is provided by the City.
Submit completed application to:
Palmetto City Hall
Attn: Cindy Hanson, City Clerk
P.O. Box 190, Palmetto, GA 30268
Based on experience
End Date for Applications:
Until position is filled