This position works under the general direction of the City Manager and is responsible for direction and administration of the Marietta Public Works department including Engineering, Building Inspections and Permitting, Sanitation, Fleet Maintenance, Streets and Traffic Services divisions. Work is performed with wide latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and is reviewed through conferences and reports for results obtained.
• Responsible for planning, organizing, and directing the Public Works department including, Engineering and Building Inspections and Permitting, Sanitation, Streets and Traffic Services, and Fleet Maintenance divisions. Ensures City compliance of all applicable state, local, and federal laws regulating building inspections and development, street and highway construction and beautification, and solid waste management. Advises division Supervisors on all applicable regulations as needed.
• Responsible for enforcement of flood plain, silt and erosion control ordinances, and storm water detention on all developments. Responsible for the NPDES Storm Water Management Program. Provides direction and final approval or resolution of Engineering proposals and recommendations from Deputy Directors.
• Oversees, and coordinates and monitors all agencies and private contractors involved with city public works projects.
• Responsible for recommending to the City Manager the annual budget for the Public Works department. Coordinates and advises all Public Works divisional managers on all related budgetary matters including expenditure control, capital improvements and service proposals.
• Responsible for responding to any unresolved complaints from citizens concerning city Public Works operations and services to ensure that staff and operations are customer friendly and focused on exceptional customer service. Investigates citizen/customer complaints and advises Deputy Directors and division Supervisors in resolving these complaints. Advises divisional Supervisors’ of re-occurring complaints or service problems.
• Directs Deputy Directors and Building Inspections and Permitting division and serves as the city’s top advisor in resolving disputes with private contractors or citizens concerning storm water, drainage, development engineering and inspections and transportation related matters.
• Responsible for preparation and presentation of agenda items to be reviewed and approved by the Public Works Committee and City Council.
• Responds to inquiries and or requests for special public works research for the City Manager and or City Council. Makes presentations and discuses development issues impacting City Public Works operations as needed.
• Responsible for the establishing goals and enforcing work standards and procedures for all Public Work division managers. Reviews and approves personnel actions including hiring, disciplinary actions, and terminations for all Public Works divisions. Advises Public Works division managers of city policy and procedures as needed and resolves complaints; advises Human Resources Director of unresolved personnel matters and grievances.
• Responsible for implementation of the city’s vision statement as it relates to Public Works. Coordinates with other departments to make sure that the vision action plan is achieved.