Employment Opportunities >> Public Works & Utilities
Charlton County Board of Commissioners
Posted: Jul. 2, 2018
End Date: Jul. 31, 2018
Charlton County will be seeking application for the position of Road Superintendent. The selected applicant will manage a wide range of responsibilities ranging from Roads, Public Works, Solid Waste, and other associated duties.
Performs complex supervisory, administrative and professional work in planning, organizing, directing, and supervising the transportation functions of the county, including roads and bridges, sidewalks, and aviation.
• Plans, organizes, coordinates, supervises and evaluates long and short range programs, plans, services, staffing, equipment and infrastructure for the transportation division.
• Oversees project management for the construction of the county transportation and other projects. Oversees assigned projects to ensure contractor compliance with time and budget parameters for the project.
• Responds to public or other inquiries relative to department policies and procedures.
• Assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures, maintains cohesion among workers and resolves grievances.
• Studies and standardizes department policies and procedures to improve efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
• Prepares composite reports from individual reports of subordinates.
• Prepares and documents budget requests; administers adopted budget in assigned area of responsibility.
• Supervises the adequacy of applications for permits and compliance with approved plans.
• Assists in the preparation of plans and specifications, bidding, evaluating competency of contractors and vendors, and the selection criteria for public contracts.
• Maintains regular contact with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, City, County, State and Federal agencies, professional and technical groups and the general public regarding division activities and services. Knowledge Required by the Position:
• Considerable knowledge of civil engineering principles related to transportation infrastructure, and management practices and methods as applicable to a governmental setting.
• Knowledge of applicable policies, laws, and regulations affecting Department activities.
• Ability to read and interpret maps and plans.
• Skill in operating the listed tools and equipment.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, County officials and the general public.
• Knowledge of construction techniques and the use of heavy equipment.
Works under the broad policy guidance and direction of the County Manager. Supervisory Duties: Exercises supervision over clerical, administrative, maintenance and professional staff as assigned.
• Must possess a valid State driver's license, ability to obtain one with a CDL class upon employment, only if deemed necessary.
• Must possess LAP Certification or be able to obtain it within a reasonable amount of time.
• Contacts are typically with the other County employees, elected and appointed officials, vendors, State officials, Federal officials, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Work is performed mostly in office settings. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, construction sites, or public works facilities. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and smell.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering, public administration, construction management or a closely related field; and
• Minimum of six years previous public works experience; or
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Applicants should submit an application along with a résumé and list of references to:
Becky Harden, Human Resources
68 Kingsland Drive, Suite B
Folkston, Ga 31537
Applications must be recieved by July 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm. Applications can be obtained form the County Commissioners' Office or online at www.charltoncountyga.us.