Charlton County will be seeking applications for the position of Recreation Director.
This position is responsible for directing the recreation programming and facilities for the citizens of Charlton County, especially for the youth of the community.
• Serves as an employee of the Charlton County Board of Commissioners; coordinates the Recreation Department activities and budget through the County Administrator.
• Serves as staff to the Recreation Advisory Board.
• Develops budget proposals and manages assigned funds.
• Plans and organizes recreational programs for the county residents.
• Oversees the maintenance and use of recreation facilities; assists in the maintenance of sports fields, including mowing grass and leveling fields.
• Recruits, trains, assign and supervise the work of volunteers.
• Recruits, assigns and supervises the work of coaches and officials.
• Umpires or coaches games as needed.
• Prepares games and practice schedules.
• Oversees the Traders Hill Campground and the Concessionaire.
• Oversees the operations, maintenance, development and improvement of the boat ramps; coordinates with GA DNR.
• Resolves complaints and concern from the public.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
• Knowledge of sports rules and policies.
• Knowledge of budgetary and financial management procedures.
• Knowledge of sports field maintenance procedures.
• Knowledge of grounds maintenance procedures.
• Knowledge of safety policies and procedures.
• Skill in planning, organizing, directing and coordinating the work of volunteers and personnel.
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
• Skill in the operation of a variety of yard and field maintenance equipment.
The County Administrator assigns work in terms of very general instructions. The supervisor spotchecks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results; monitors compliance with the authorized budget and County policies; supports the Recreation Advisory Board.
Guidelines include Georgia Parks and Recreation Association guidelines, sports rules and County policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgement, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
• The work consists of varied duties in the coordination of recreation programming. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to direct the provision of programming for area residents. Success in this position results in a successful recreation program that meets the needs of citizens.
• Contacts are typically with the other County employees, elected and appointed officials, vendors, school personnel, volunteers, parents, sponsors, students and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and occasionally heavy objects.
• The work is typically performed in an office, outdoors, occasionally in hot, humid, or cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and irritating chemicals. Work requires the use of protective devises such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:
This position has direct supervision over Recreation Assistant, Recreation Maintenance Workers, and other part-time, seasonal and volunteer personnel.
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills associated with a bachelor’s degree in recreation or equivalent experience and education.
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and function of the department in order to direct and coordinate work within the department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
To Apply: Applicants should submit an application (which may be obtained from the Commissioner's Office or visiting the County website at www.buttscountyga.com along with a cover letter and complete résumé of qualifications to the attention of:
Becky Harden, Human Resources
68 Kingsland Drive, Suite B
Folkston, Georgia 31537
Applications must be received by July 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm. Applications can be aquired from the County Commissioners' Office or online at www.charltoncountyga.us.