JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for performing a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative, and technical accounting and finance duties in the maintenance of the County’s fiscal records and systems.
- Directs the County’s accounting, financial, and administrative activities
- Supervises, assigns, and evaluates the work of the County’s finance and administrative staff; trains and develops staff
- Develops and administers the County’s operating budget
- Directs and reviews the accounting functions of the Lincoln County Board of Commissioner’s and its component units, including cash management, accounts receivable, cost allocations, journal entries, financial reporting, and accounts payable
- Establishes and maintains internal control procedures and ensures that the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles are maintained
- Posting and reconciliations of ledger accounts
- Prepares the Count’s Annual Financial Report
- Assists with functions of the annual audit; performs internal audit functions
- Ensures that financial activities and reports are in compliance with federal, state and local rules, regulations, and laws
- Provides technical assistance and information to staff as needed
- Oversees and may prepare a variety of reports, studies, and related information for decision-making purposes; conducts research, analysis, and prepares recommendations for proposals, programs, grants, services, budgets, equipment, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of public financial administration
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and Generally Accepted Governmental Accounting Principles(GAGAP)
- Knowledge of business practices and procedures
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws, rules, and regulations
- Knowledge of grant administration
- Knowledge of management principles and practices
- Knowledge of data processing methods, especially as applied to accounting and budgeting
- Skill in preparing complex reports
Director of Finance & Administration
- Skill in operating a computer and word processing and spreadsheet programs
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting data
- Skill in interpersonal relations
- Skill in oral and written communication
SCOPE AND EFFECT:The purpose of this position is to administer all financial accounting activities of the LINCOLN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS and its component units.Successful performance helps ensure proper financial management for the County.
PERSONAL CONTACTS:Contacts are typically with co-workers, the LINCOLN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONER’S Board of Directors, department directors, auditors, and vendors.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS:Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, and justify, defend, or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:The work is typically performs while sitting at a desk or table.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY:This position has direct supervision over the Finance Assistants (2).
- 4-year Accounting Degree with at least two years experience in a related field
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of the 4-year degree with Public Accounting & Audit experience preferred
- Knowledge of Budgetary Accounting
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Proficient in electronic accounting and Microsoft Office