CHIEF OF POLICE
City of Rincon
The City of Rincon, Georgia is seeking a visionary leader to be the next Chief of Police. This city is an acclaimed place to work and live.
A. JOB SUMMARY
Under the administrative direction of the City Manager, the Chief of Police directs and manages all law enforcement activities in Rincon. The Chief of Police plans, develops, and manages Rincon Police Department programs and coordinates activities with other public safety agencies, in addition to evaluating and monitoring enforcement efforts and implementing public safety changes.
B. MAJOR DUTIES
- Plans, manages, and supervises the implementation of law enforcement activities, monitors law enforcement activities through the Executive Command Staff, allocates resources to achieve organizational goals, and establishes Department goals and objectives.
- Assures the enforcement of all criminal laws.
- Makes hiring and other personnel recommendations, assures proper training of all personnel, monitors performance evaluation, and takes corrective action when necessary.
- Reports to the City Manager on operational activities.
- Oversees Department Budget preparation and administration.
- Represents the organization on various boards, committees, councils, and task forces.
- Coordinates activities with other law enforcement and public service agencies and may participate in high profile or complex investigations.
- Reviews criminal activity data and trends, modifies enforcement efforts and activities to meet community needs, and stays abreast of new technology and methods.
- Issues General Orders, Special Orders, Addendums to General and Special Orders, Memorandums to General or Special Orders, and Interoffice Correspondence, as needed, to determine Department policy and procedure, as well as charting the overall course of the Department.
C. TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
The following standards express the minimum background of training and experience. Other training or experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may qualify the applicant for the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited university, preferably with a major in Criminal Justice, AND extensive experience of a progressively responsible nature in law enforcement and crime prevention work, including supervisory experience.
- A minimum of fifteen years police experience including five years supervisory and management experience in law enforcement, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A valid Georgia motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Meeting the minimum qualifications as identified by Georgia Code Annotated Sections 35-8-8 and 35-8-9 administered by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council.
D. ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Sufficient strength, vision, stamina and agility to perform all duties on a regular basis without assistance.
Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and police regulations, current investigation methods and forensic techniques, personnel management principles, supervisory practices, performance standards, employee evaluation methods and practices, and training methods. Applicant must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City Officials, State and Federal authorities, civic leaders and the public. Must be able to evaluate statistical data and budget reports, anticipate trends, develop and administer annual work plans, and supervise a diverse organization. Excellent communication skills are required.
Resumes and letters of interest will be accepted until the position is filled.
Send a letter of interest and resume to:
City of Rincon
PO Box 232
Rincon, GA. 31326
Attn: Position of Police Chief
The City of Rincon is an equal opportunity employer.