Under general supervision of the Information Technology Manager, this employee manages the operation and administration of the Information Technology (IT) service desk. This position ensures the cost-efficient provision of hardware and software services, problem analysis, and core technical support. This employee provides technical leadership and participates in strategic and organizational planning for the delivery and support of information technology services.
Examples of Work
- Manages the operation and administration of the IT service desk; ensures that technical support services are available, efficiently staffed, and equipped with appropriate technology.
- Supervises personnel, which includes work delegation, technical and customer service training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Ensures service and support is provided to customers in a professional, courteous, and timely manner.
- Works closely with users and other professionals in evaluating user requests to determine priorities.
- Plans and oversees the development, implementation, and support of programs and initiatives for the IT service desk.
- Participates in on call rotation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of information technology as it applies to public sector or public safety enterprises.
- Knowledge of current IT developments and trends.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures in IT.
- Skill in reading, understanding, and evaluating vendor software documentation.
- Skill in installing and maintaining software in both a desktop and a networked environment.
- Skill in the testing and debugging of software problems.
- Skill in technical writing and documentation.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
Necessary Training & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related work experience.
- Six years of experience in IT technical support, including two years desktop.
- Successful completion of thorough background investigation.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.