CITY OF BALDWIN
WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
The duties listed below are representative of what is expected from an employee that fills this position. It does not represent the totality of job duties or functions that may be required by the employee to satisfactorily perform the duties that at the Water Treatment Facility. Duties and expectations may change without notice due to system demands, requirements from EPD mandates and requirements from the City of Baldwin.
- Possess Georgia EPD issued Water Treatment Operator Class III certification or higher
- 18 years of age or older
- Possess High School Diploma or equivalency
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to use a pallet jack and move pallets weighing hundreds of pounds
- Physical strength and dexterity to climb stairs and ladders
- Possess current and valid Georgia Driver’s License
- Pass pre-employment drug screen
- Ability to work night, day, weekends, and/or holidays
- Pass pre-employment background check to include MVR
- Operate a water treatment facility with no supervision.
- Operate a water treatment facility alone for a 10 hour shift.
- Perform lab testing as required by the Georgia EPD.
- Enter data into log book, computer spreadsheets, turbidity log, daily flow charts, and lab bench sheets.
- Mix chemicals in accordance with established policies for safe drinking water.
- Move a pallet weighing hundreds of pounds with the use of a pallet jack.
- Walk up and down stairs frequently to check water treatment components and process.
- Flush clarifiers and back wash filters.
- Run lab analysis on water to include alkalinity, chlorine, pH, Iron, Manganese, Fluoride and Turbidity using online and benchtop laboratory equipment.
- Drive City vehicle alone to various locations throughout the City’s water system to collect water samples.
- Fills out required paperwork and ships samples to the state lab.
- Makes daily visits to the Raw Water Intake station.
- Perform general maintenance at the Raw Water Intake station to include but not limited to blowing off the intake and raw water vault, manually opening and closing valves and changing filters on raw water feed line for pumps.
- Perform preventive maintenance on water treatment equipment which may require climbing into underground vaults and climbing ladders to access equipment. This equipment includes but not limited to high service pumps, raw water pumps, chemical feeders, and various electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Make general electrical, mechanical and plumbing repairs as necessary.
- Maintain general appearance of the Water Treatment Facility to include but not limited to cleaning, painting, sweeping, mopping floors, dusting counter tops, cleaning lab equipment and ground maintenance including but not limited to grass cutting with riding mower AND push mower, trimming weeds and brush with a weed eater.
*Other duties may be required*
City of Baldwin, Jerry Neace, email@example.com, (706) 968-2095.