Employment Opportunities >> Public Safety
City of Brookhaven
Posted: Jul. 17, 2018
End Date: Aug. 17, 2018
The City of Brookhaven is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Fire Marshal with the Community Development Department. The Fire Marshal will inspect new and existing buildings for compliance with all applicable codes, complete inspections for new business licenses or change of occupancy, in conjunction with the building official.
This position is responsible for overseeing inspections and enforcing codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Investigates complaints regarding fire code violations.
• Interprets fire codes for staff and for internal and external customers.
• Issues permits for events where combustible materials will be used and provides notice and copies of all fire-related special permits issued by the City to the DeKalb County fire chief at least one (1) business day prior to the event.
• Represents the department in meetings with city management personnel.
• Meets with architects, engineers, developers, and property owners.
• Inspects new and existing buildings for compliance with applicable codes.
• Calculates and issues Occupant Load Certificates in conjunction with the building official.
• Completes inspections for new business licenses or change of occupancy, in conjunction with the building official.
• Conducts after hours monitoring of assembly occupancies.
• Creates reports, memoranda, incident reports, and other required documents.
• Assist the Community Development Director with annual budget items for Fire Marshal’s Office.
• Issues and monitors permits for fireworks displays.
• Witness’s final tests of fire alarms, fire sprinklers, and fire suppression systems.
• Reviews plans for compliance with applicable codes and standards, except for high-hazard and high-rise occupancy structures which shall be forwarded to the DeKalb County Fire Department.
• Conducts code research for inquiries from architects, engineers, and citizens.
• Monitors fire drills in private schools and other occupancies.
• Provides public fire safety education.
• Reviews inspection reports received from contractors.
• Issues and reviews burn permits.
• Approves Fire Department access to properties; identifies fire lanes; reviews site plans for access, fire lanes, and fire hydrant placement.
• Ensures that all required IFC Chapter 5 Fire Service Features are submitted to the DeKalb County Fire Department for review.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
• High School Diploma or GED;
• Five (5) years of experience in fire prevention codes enforcement;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and
• Must possess’ a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and equipment used in the suppression of fires and in the delivery of emergency medical services.
• Knowledge of fire and life safety codes.
• Knowledge of building construction, plumbing, fire alarm and suppression systems, and fire extinguishers.
• Knowledge of modern office practices and procedures, including the use of computers, scanners, spreadsheet and database software.
• Knowledge of city personnel policy.
• Skill in the development, implementation, and enforcement of policies and guidelines.
• Skill in the operation of fire apparatus and in the delivery of emergency medical services.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
This employee is regularly required to perform sedentary and light work and exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force to move objects. The employee is also required to balance, climb, crawl, feel, finger objects, grasp, handle, hear, make rational decisions, push, pull, reach, use repetitive motion, stoop, stand, speak, talk, visualize, and walk.
The City of Brookhaven is an Equal Opportunity Employer