Performs skilled work in maintaining the vehicles and mechanical equipment of all the City departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plans, carries and evaluates preventive maintenance schedules for all vehicles and mechanical equipment, either personally or through outside vendors.
Operates a variety of diagnostic instruments and a variety of hand, electric, and air-driven tools.
Tests, services and repairs vehicles and mechanical equipment.
Inspects, adjusts and replaces necessary units and related parts in the performance of repair and maintenance work.
Repairs brake, engine, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, ignition, air, exhaust, axle assemblies and relate systems,
Cuts and welds metal and performs body repair, touch up and related work.
Change and repairs tires and tubes.
Evaluated status of mechanical equipment and vehicles and mechanical systems to determine the most cost-effective means of maintenance, repair or replacement.
Manages the maintenance of departmental parts inventory.
Develops and oversees an ongoing preventive maintenance plan for all City vehicles and equipment.
Purchases equipment, parts, and supplies used for vehicle and mechanical system maintenance.
Provides emergency field assistance to disable vehicles and equipment as needed.
Assist in the preparation of bid specifications for vehicles and mechanical equipment.
Maintains records in accordance with the Georgia Records Retention Schedule, prepares reports and other specialized maintenance of record of vehicles, equipment and mechanical equipment's.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATION
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, plus some specialized training and certifications in mechanics, maintenance management, and or a closely related field.
- Three (3) years of experience relating construction, maintenance or repair.
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Through knowledge of automotive mechanics.
- Considerable knowledge of gas and diesel engines, transmissions, hydraulics, generators, and welding
- Price trends and grades of quality of material and equipment.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions common to municipal maintenance and repair activities.
- Working knowledge of the practices, methods, materials and tools used in modern equipment maintenance.
- Knowledge of the mechanical functions on a wide variety of vehicles and equipment
- Knowledge of preventive and corrective maintenance procedures
- Knowledge of record-keeping systems
- Skill in interpersonal relations. Skill in operation of a wide variety of tools and equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective preventive maintenance programs, policies and procedures.
- Ability to carry out assigned projects to their completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, vendors, and the public.
Valid Georgia driver’s license and CDL certification, or ability to obtain one within one (1) year of hire date.
TOOL AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles for mechanical testing purposes, power and hand tools and equipment for vehicle and mechanical system work; mechanic’s tools including jacks, hydraulic lifts, air tools, and other tools required for minors repairs and routine maintenance of motorized vehicles; electronic vehicles diagnostic equipment; personal computers, calculator, telephone and mobile communication radio.
The physical demands described here are representative to those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Where performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee constantly is required to stand, walk and use hand to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tool or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical part or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is moderately noisy.
Formal applications, rating of education and experience, oral interview and reference and background check. The City of Austell is a Drug-free work place, if selected; an employment physical and drug screen will be required.
The duties listed herein are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties dos not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute as an employment agreement between the City of Austell and the employee and is subject to changed by the City of Austell as the needs of the City of Austell and requirements of the job change.
The City of Austell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Austell City Government does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Please mail, or deliver in person, application to address below. If mailing, include a copy of your valid driver's license, social security card, and high school diploma or GED.
City of Austell - Public Works Department
5000 Austell-Powder Springs Road, Suite 105
Austell, Georgia 30106
E-mail to: email@example.com