Perform a variety of unskilled or semi-skilled maintenance work, and operates a variety of equipment on the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of City Street and storm drainage facilities and systems
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1) Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
2) Drives trucks of various sizes and weights in the loading, hauling and unloading of various equipment, gravel and sand.
3) Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor; cleans equipment.
4) Performs all duties in compliance to appropriate OSHA standards.
5) Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of crew, including pavement cutting, ditch digging, manhole and catch basing cleaning, main and pipe repair, laying and back-filling.
6) Operates a variety of power construction and maintenance equipment used in street maintenance and repair.
Inspects and/or repair streets and drainage systems at frequent intervals to insure that all aspects of the systems are functioning properly.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Education and Experience:
- Graduate from high school or GED equivalent.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experiences.
Necessary knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Basic knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities.
- Skill in operation of a wide variety of tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work safely.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
Valid Georgia driver’s license and CDL certification, or ability to obtain one.
Tools and Equipment Used
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, aeroil propane kettle, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, phone, ditch witch and other related equipment.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential job functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and smell.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to twenty five (25) pounds and occasionally in and/or move up to one hundred (100) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check and job related tests may be required. The City of Austell is a Drug-free work place, if selected; an employment physical and drug screen will be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the City of Austell and the employee and it subject to change by the Austell Public Works as the needs of the City of Austell and requirements of the job change.
The City of Austell is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Austell City Government does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Please mail, or deliver in person, application to address below. If mailing, include a copy of your valid driver's license, social security card, and high school diploma or GED.
City of Austell - Public Works Department
5000 Austell-Powder Springs Road, Suite 105
Austell, Georgia 30106
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org